Sublime Text 3: Worth a look!

The “Tooling” category lists Juno and VS Code explicitly, probably because they are considered general-purpose and widely used (and widely usable?). I believe from my very recent experience that Sublime Text 3 is at least on par in terms of capabilities and raw power.

I don’t mean to start any flame wars or fruitless discussions on the merits of various editors, but it seems to me that Julia users need to be made aware of the benefits of using Sublime Text 3 for programming in Julia.

Just a few notes:

• The Julia language-syntax mode works flawlessly.
  • The ability to evaluate selections, lines of code, and files is smooth and matches or exceeds experience I’ve had in other editors.
  • The terminals in the editor can be made fully functional on Windows, as it is trivial to start cmd, Powershell, git bash, or Linux shell (WSL) within the editor. (I was never able to make this work properly with Atom or with Emacs.)
  • The power of snippets cannot be exaggerated.
  • The editor is seriously FAST. (I have had some really bad experiences recently with VS Code which slowed down to a lag of several seconds per action. Atom has always been slowish.)
  • The ability to program the editor in Python means that integration of the editor with your own Julia code using pycall can go far.
  • The integration of the editor with Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition means that the power of either can be significantly boosted by synergy with the other. (Pop me a line if you want to find out more.)

I think it is totally fine to point out recent advances in an IDE. Those who are interested can then just try it out. Thanks for doing this!

Too bad you can’t write the plugins directly in Julia:p

I used Sublime previously, and it’s really good, but started falling behind the rapid development of Atom and VS Code. They seem to have picked up the speed, though. Thanks for reminding me I actually have a paid license.

Main drawback is perhaps that it’s not FOSS, and costs a fair bit for a license (though you get an unlimited trial period.)

BTW, could you list the relevant plugins or packages to use for Julia development?

Something like this? How to use Julia with Sublime Text 3

All feedback and suggestions welcome.

EDIT 11/05: Added installation and customization instructions for Zeal. Lightning fast access to the documentation!

One feature missing from Sublime for Julia development is autocompletion. Otherwise, I agree, the editor is significantly faster than VSCode or Atom.

I believe all that is needed for this to work is LanguageServer.jl. I believe that support is in the works. @ZacLN would be able to tell us more.

Thank you–this is really helpful. I had trouble with the Sublime Text IJulia frontend package which initially caused me to abandon Sublime Text 3 for Julia.

The document on the use of Sublime Text 3 with Julia has been updated with additional key bindings for access to the help mode in the REPL (thanks to @mbauman) , and minor clarifications on the Python plug-in. (https://github.com/PetrKryslUCSD/HowToUseJuliaWithSublimeText3/blob/master/How-to-use-Julia-with-Sublime-Text-3.md)

I had not known of “Zeal” – very helpful.