Styling plotted maps

Hi all,

I am working on developing a package to create really nice looking plots of maps that are in OSM format. I currently am using Winston.jl, and just have a big dictionary containing all the styles that can be changed individually for each tag. However, @yeesian pointed me towards MapCSS which seems like a good way to do more of a kind of batch styling of different tags. Is there some sort of consensus on what kind of system I should use for theming the different plots? Or should I try to make my own system with the dictionaries and then write some code to parse MapCSS to change my system?

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Is there some sort of consensus on what kind of system I should use for theming the different plots? Or should I try to make my own system with the dictionaries and then write some code to parse MapCSS to change my system?

Dictionaries sound like a reasonable way to go.

Also do you know https://github.com/pszufe/OpenStreetMapX.jl ?

1 Like

Yep, this is a continuation of the discussion here:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/METADATA.jl/pull/20040

1 Like

If I understand it, this package is exploring ergonomic ways of plotting maps where you have multiple different classes of entities, which you might eventually want to style in a data-driven way.

GitHub - pszufe/OpenStreetMapXPlot.jl: Plotting functionality for the OpenStreetMapX.jl (Supports PyPlot.jl and Plots.jl with GR backend) is the corresponding plotting package, but (like the original OpenStreetMap.jl package) it does not provide guidance on style sheets/specs for visualizing maps either.

1 Like

So I have added support for MapCSS but kept my original themes, so that both methods can be used. They are mutually exclusive however, so you cannot use my dictionary driven theme AND use MapCSS. If anyone is interested, please take a look at: GitHub - juliusgeo/OpenStreetMapPlotter.jl: Plotting focused library for OpenStreetMap data and let me know if you find any glaring issues.