Status of CompatHelperLocal

What is the status of this package: Alexander Plavin / CompatHelperLocal.jl · GitLab

I find it very useful, but it is not well maintained and I did not find a way to submit an issue. Anybody else able to submit issues on GitLab?

This doesn’t answer your original question, but if you want a nice interface for setting [compat] entries locally, check out PackageCompatUI.jl.

Well, what I want is this: Automatically add `compat` entries according to current installed versions · Issue #2463 · JuliaLang/Pkg.jl · GitHub

Or this: Add automatically compat entry when adding a package · Issue #776 · JuliaLang/Pkg.jl · GitHub

But it is not yet implemented…

For manually editing entries you can also use the compat command in the pkg modus of Julia in version 1.8 … :smiley:

Author here. My hope for CompatHelperLocal is that it becomes superseded by more “official” tools at some point - such as CompatHelper getting the ability to run locally. This hasn’t happened for a few years though…

The core functionality of CompatHelperLocal is to automatically check that compat entries are present and up to date. As suggested in the README, just add it to runtests.jl, and when compats become outdated you get reminders + copy-pastable compat section contents.
This is different from manual interactive compat interfaces mentioned in posts above. I personally rarely use them (mostly the built-in ]compat), but always put CompatHelperLocal into tests of all my packages.

Do you find any specific issue with it not working correctly? I consider the core functionality effectively “done”. There are some non-registered experimental features, but that’s a different story.

Issues are definitely enabled for the repo. It should be possible to submit one through the regular gitlab interface.

Yes, the compat section of your package is outdated and if I install it when using Julia 1.8-rc3 it downgrades what I have installed.

(tmp) pkg> add CompatHelperLocal
   Resolving package versions...
    Updating `~/repos/tmp/Project.toml`
  [5224ae11] + CompatHelperLocal v0.1.20
    Updating `~/repos/tmp/Manifest.toml`
  [5224ae11] + CompatHelperLocal v0.1.20
⌅ [ffbed154] ↓ DocStringExtensions v0.9.1 ⇒ v0.8.6
        Info Packages marked with ⌅ have new versions available but cannot be upgraded. To see why use `status --outdated -m`
(tmp) pkg> status --outdated -m
Status `~/repos/tmp/Manifest.toml`
⌅ [34da2185] Compat v3.45.0 (<v4.1.0): DataFrames
⌅ [ffbed154] DocStringExtensions v0.8.6 (<v0.9.1): CompatHelperLocal

Can you provide a screenshot? I don’t find it.

Indeed, you are right!
I haven’t registered new versions of CompatHelperLocal in General for some time. The most recent version with updated compat will appear there when the Registrator PR https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General/pull/66316 gets merged.

Just in case: note that in typical use, you only need CompatHelperLocal in your test environment, so it doesn’t affect your package dependencies at all.

Issues should be right there:
Imgur

Thanks, I found it. My problem was if I first searched for your project and then logged in your project disappeared. I have to first log in and then search for your project…

Well, it will not get merged. See: “Does not meet sequential version number guideline: version 0.1.24 skips over 0.1.21”.

So you have to change the version number and try again…

The sequential version is only a requirement for AutoMerge, the bot comment explicitly says that:

Note that the guidelines are only required for the pull request to be merged automatically.

If you do not want to fix the AutoMerge issues, please post a comment explaining why you would like this pull request to be manually merged.

And I do exactly this - post a comment that the version is fine. There are already a couple of intermediate versions not registered in General, I cannot use earlier numbers.

That PR was just merged, probably DilumAluthge saw this discussion. The new version should be available from General now.

Great! Thank you!