SSH extension for VSCode

Hi,
I was succesfully using SSH extension in VSCode to code in julia on a remote machine, but it broke down without any obvious reason. When I start start the VScode and connect to the server, everything loads as usual, but julia does not start and it says

“Could not start the Julia language server. Make sure the configuration setting julia.executablePath points to the Julia binary.”

The julia executable path is set on the local machine and it works. Is there a way to set it for the remote machine? Julia is installed there and runs from the command line with no problems.
Thanks for any advice.

Look for the command “Open Remote Settings” and you can set a julia.executablePath which applies only to that remote.

Thank you, it works now. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why it worked without setting it before and now it stopped?

No idea, maybe the local executablepath happened to also be correct for the remote machine previously, but then something there changed?

There was an update to the Julia extension a few weeks back which changed how the binary path is resolved, so maybe you hadn’t updated the extension on the remote in a while and only ran into the issue after the update?

I have the same issue: the SSH extension was working at some point with the Julia: I could run code inline and it was lauching a REPL.
Now when I open a remote session, it says
“Could not start the Julia language server. Make sure the configuration setting julia.executablePath points to the Julia binary.”

It is university cluster, I set manually the path to in my case “/mnt/beegfs/softs/opt/core/julia/1.6.1/bin/” as suggested by @marius311. But the error still is here.
Even if I do ml load julia in a terminal, julia in a terminal runs the REPL, but the extension still do not work.

By the way, how should I start the Julia extension (if it works) directly in an interactive node (and not login node) which I launch typically with

srun --nodes=1  --ntasks-per-node=1 --mem=MaxMemPerNode --time 3:00:00 -p cpu_shared --pty /bin/bash -i

You need to set that path to the actual binary, no the directory containing the binary.

Ho! Thanks you! This works indeed.

Do you have an idea on how to make the extension work directly in a interactive node?

I have solved this by pirating Sockets.connect(path) to route the socket vs code uses to talk to the REPL through TCP using socat before passing it on (basically pointing the julia executable to a script which does all of this before running the launch command). I don’t think I can genuinely recommend this approach so if there are options I wouldn’t mind knowing about them.

I suppose that if the node has ssh enabled you might have more options, such as running vs code remotely against the interactive node.

Indeed, I discovered that, the node on the cluster I use has ssh enable, so the following setup works.
It is amazing!