Special issue on Julia?

The short answer: it depends.

The longish answer: You will probably find this out by writing the draft of the paper. If the SISO part looks substantial and has enough meat on the bones when you’re getting up to 15 to 20 pages, then that is a complete paper. Otherwise throw in the MIMO part.

As you say, in this journal the focus is on the engineering software solving the problem. It may be a good idea to browse through the papers that have appeared recently in the journal. That will give you some idea of what gets published, and therefore what the expectations of the reviewers are.

The timeline is at this point uncertain. It may take a couple of weeks for the editors decide how to place the special issue, and I would also like to hear from the stewards what the best timing from the point of view of the development of the language might be (@viralbshah?).

I would say the authors have probably till the early months of 2018 to submit the paper. Then it takes a couple of months to get it reviewed. A month for revision, and the issue may get released online a month or so after that.

2 Likes

I have been thinking about the timeline. I think it would be good to get the issue out before JuliaCon.

One question - while I am not sure what the general policy of this journal is, will all the Julia articles published be available via open access?

-viral

Only those articles where the open-access fee has been paid ($2500) are available for free download.
However, the authors generally have the right to publish the pre-print version online.

As I have already pointed out: it would be entirely in the spirit of Julia to develop the sources to the article on github.
Which would address not only access to the text, but also access to the code and the data.

2 Likes

I am assuming that the CfP will be announced in this topic — is this correct?

Of course, as soon as I get the green light for the special issue I will post an announcement with relevant details.

2 Likes

OK, it is finally so far, the special issue is moving forward: if you are still interested in submitting your research, please firm up the title and a brief abstract and send to me. I will need a rought count and a high-level view of how many submissions there might be and how the topics would fit together.

Thanks.

P

Edit: I did not mean to imply above that only authors who previously expressed interest should submit an abstract. Everyone is invited.

4 Likes

It looks like the publisher should have the timeline for the special issue hammered out within two weeks or so. So please stay tuned. It is not too late to send me that brief abstract, which is non-binding, and intended only to inform the editors of the likely content of that special issue.

3 Likes