Side discussion on xkcd comic

Cool.

10 Likes

I’m not sure what purpose is served by a response like that. If you are understandably allergic to “bl*ckchain” then just replace it with “secure adversarial consensus” in your head (which is very clearly an interesting problem).

1 Like

The comic encapsulates well the level of the discussions one can get when discussing electronic voting. It is a complex problem whose solutions are hard to evaluate because of a bulk of criteria one needs to go through (see for example 1). Also, I am a bit allergic to blockchain and find the comic funny :laughing:

6 Likes

I have deleted my link to XKCD, because I think it gives the wrong message and tone.

I do not intend to bag on the idea.
I think it is exciting and important to work on this.
(as well as to have proper caution)

I just have that reflex to “Always quote XKCD”

3 Likes

I’ve moved this discussion into its own thread, but made it unlisted and put it in the off topic category, and reverted the original post so that it makes sense. Folks can keep discussing the merits and pitfalls of quoting xkcd here without derailing the original thread. For the first five years of Julia being new, we got this one all the time:

Never be deterred by the existence of an xkcd comic that perfectly skewers your idea :grin:

11 Likes