Section links in search results

When searching for something with duckduckgo or Google, I often stub my toe on this problem, example:

I search for julia customizing broadcasting and scroll down a bit. It finds Interfaces · The Julia Language, with a description that sounds very helpful:

Customizing broadcasting Broadcasting is triggered by an explicit call …

But clicking the link brings me to the top of Interfaces, and I have to find-on-page to get to the part quoted in the blurb.

What would have felt much more natural is for the link in the search results to be Interfaces · The Julia Language (with section link)

Is it possible to convince the search engine crawlers to do this?

For example:

https://www.example.com/RunningShoes/Womens.htm?size=8#info

A fragment (in this case, #info ) generally identifies which part of the page the browser scrolls to. Because the content itself is usually the same regardless of the fragment, search engines commonly ignore any fragment used.

SEO Starter Guide: The Basics | Google Search Central | Documentation | Google Developers

So it looks hard to do.

2 Likes

Hm. I wonder why this interaction annoys me so much more than other sets of documentation I know. Perhaps these long pages should be broken up into subpages? Or maybe it’s just me.

Perhaps we can organize the document in another form.

When people search on Google, they want to find how-to guides for specific questions.

The existing documentation provides detailed information about the interface.

We could reorganize the documentation in the form of a how-to guide, and add some new pages.
The newly added pages focus on solving a single problem, which also makes it easier for search engines to crawl.