Revise.jl does not seem to work on my environment

I tryied usage example of Revise.jl on my environment (julia 1.0.1, Ubuntu 16.04), but it doesn’t seem to work.

I typed edit(hello), which opened file ~/.julia/dev/Example/src/Example.jl on vim. I put g() = true inside, and closed vim. Then, typed Example.g() and get ERROR: UndefVarError: g not defined. Would anyone explain why?

Before trying the above example, I hit Pkg.test("Revise") and checked that no error occured. (Testing Revise tests passes). Also, please note that using Revise was done before using Example.

Would be useful if you could show the full error output. In particular it shows from where the error was thrown, and makes it easier to locate the problem.

If you have just added Example the problem might be that Revise does not track such packages, since the are (supposed to be) immutable, and the files are write protected.

Thank you very much for your reply. I corrected typo in my post (f → g). I’m sorry for confusing you.

Could you tell me how to check the Revise track the Example? I thought that Revise successfully tracked the Example since edit(hello) didn’t cause any error, which means Revise knows the existence of Example. (function hello belongs to module Example)

I will show full error output tomorrow when I go back to the office.

edit does not come from Revise. I believe that

is the reason.

1 Like

As for

If you have just add ed Example the problem might be that Revise does not track such packages, since the are (supposed to be) immutable, and the files are write protected.

, does this mean some additional procedures are required other than those explained in the example of ducumentation?

By the way, the full error message I got is the following

ERROR: UndefVarError: g not defined
Stacktrace:
[1] getproperty(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./sysimg.jl:13
[2] top-level scope at none:0