Re-installing Julia w/ v. 1.2.0 -- Plots doesn't compile

After some problem with Julia vs. Python in Jypyter notebooks, I’m removing every trace of Python and Julia on my computers, and re-installing first Julia v. 1.2.0 with packages, and then Anaconda. [I mainly use Julia, but occationally need to run some Python code.]

Reinstalling Julia with packages worked fine on my desktop, and previous problem with IJulia was solved. Next, I’m trying to cleanse and reinstall Julia on my laptop. On my laptop, Plots doesn’t compile, and complains about a missing ffmpeg.

Anyone knows what this can be?

julia> using Plots
[ Info: Precompiling Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80]
ERROR: LoadError: UndefVarError: ffmpeg not defined
Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope at C:\Users\User_Name\.julia\packages\FFMPEG\bkWgb\src\FFMPEG.jl:55
 [2] include at .\boot.jl:328 [inlined]
 [3] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1094
 [4] include(::Module, ::String) at .\Base.jl:31
 [5] top-level scope at none:2
 [6] eval at .\boot.jl:330 [inlined]
 [7] eval(::Expr) at .\client.jl:432
 [8] top-level scope at .\none:3
in expression starting at C:\Users\User_Name\.julia\packages\FFMPEG\bkWgb\src\FFMPEG.jl:55
ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile FFMPEG [c87230d0-a227-11e9-1b43-d7ebe4e7570a] to C:\Users\User_Name\.julia\compiled\v1.2\FFMPEG\TGvga.ji.
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
 [2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1253
 [3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:1013
 [4] require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:911
 [5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at .\loading.jl:906
 [6] include at .\boot.jl:328 [inlined]
 [7] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1094
 [8] include(::Module, ::String) at .\Base.jl:31
 [9] top-level scope at none:2
 [10] eval at .\boot.jl:330 [inlined]
 [11] eval(::Expr) at .\client.jl:432
 [12] top-level scope at .\none:3
in expression starting at C:\Users\User_Name\.julia\packages\Plots\h3o4c\src\Plots.jl:11
ERROR: Failed to precompile Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80] to C:\Users\User_Name\.julia\compiled\v1.2\Plots\ld3vC.ji.
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
 [2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1253
 [3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:1013
 [4] require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:911
 [5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at .\loading.jl:906

Can you run ]build FFMPEG ?

I found FFMPEG.jl, and tried to Pkg.add("FFMPEG"). This worked, and now I could do using Plots without error message. When I tried to specify pycall(), I was told that I needed to build PyCall. I’m in the process of doing that now.

OK… seems to have worked – build PyCall caused the installation of a load of Python code.

Hm… I used exactly the same *.jl script of adding packages on my desktop and on my laptop. My laptop must have had a hiccup … seems like:

1. Adding ffmpeg and
  2. Building PyCall

solved the problem. The only “real” difference regarding graphics between my desktop and my laptop is that my laptop has an NVIDIA 1050 graphics card, but I would be surprised if that should have caused the problem…

While I’m at IJulia… if anyone has an idea why sometimes, plots are embedded in a scrollable window,

while other times, they appear without such scroll bars:

I’m curious to know… it seems to be random. Of course, if the plot is “tall” or “wide”, I could see why this happes, but it seems to happen randomly for plots of the same size…