Question on installation

I’m sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I’m used to seeing some type of INSTALL.md or other doc in an archive that describes the installation process. I just can’t seem to find something that actually talks about installing on Linux.

I’ve downloaded julia and decompressed/unarchived the archive into /usr/local/share/julia-1.9.3.

It that it? Can I just run julia from the bin directory and it will work fine? I see there’s a lib, libexec, share/man, etc folders. To find the man pages I would think I would have to update the MANPATH environmental variable as well, no?

Is there some documentation out there which describes what additional steps, if any, have to be performed to complete the install on a linux system, or am I just “done” once I extract all the files? (other than pointing my PATH to the bin directory, of course)

1 Like

The installation instruction can be found here. Yes downloading and extracting is enough :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also give GitHub - JuliaLang/juliaup: Julia installer and version multiplexer a try

4 Likes

Using juliaup is strongly recommended.

4 Likes