"Python is undoubtedly faster in helping programmers express their concept in fewer lines of code"

I am still waiting for someone to design a language where various forms of whitespace have different meaning.

Perl Acme::Bleach - For really clean programs - metacpan.org

ps. I believe fun like this and ‘obfuscated Perl’ contests did the Perl language no good at all.

2 Likes

I will be honest, I actually used \Upsilon instead of Y in one of my code and they look exactly the same. Actually, I used both of them that time, and only I know which of the two chatacters is intended for what.

But this is a piece of code nobody cares about, so nobody has ever noticed that I did this.

Just to clarify, the exercise I am proposing is creating a programming language which has nearly sane syntax, then making whitespace significant in some obscure way.

Julia chickened out very early with some minor whitespace corner cases in the parser. Python looks promising, but it is actually reasonably consistent.

That’s more like it!

2 Likes

Ah, so you’re not jumping ship, then?

1 Like

It might be arguable whether it’s a programming language but make is infamous for its significant tabs.

1 Like

Nay. Just want people who care about whitespace to enjoy themselves. :wink:

1 Like

I’m also a mathematical epidemiologist. I moved over from C++/Octave (why didn’t I use R?!) after a colleague (an economist / epidemiologist) suggested it. As soon as I tried it I found it was lovely to work with and the repl + good performance meant I could proceed at a far faster pace than with C++, even if at the time I was getting only about 1/5th the C++ performance in my models.

I haven’t come across any other language where it’s as easy to express the logic as in Julia. It’s no wonder that it’s gained quite some popularity at our department who are otherwise mostly R or Java users.

4 Likes

Yeah, thats very similar to my department. C++ / R / MATLAB have been mainstays, with Julia (rapidly) increasing in popularity.

Python is a quite marginal language amongst maths epi people that I’ve met, although I don’t make any claim that this is universal. But the wide-spread claims about Python being incredibly expressive haven’t seemed to penetrate epi modelling in the same way as it has other fields.

I think the success of Julia in epi modelling is mainly down to DifferentialEquations.jl.

3 Likes