Python 3.13 will bring a new REPL

It seems that the Julia community is not the only one improving its REPL. Among other things, Python 3.13 will bring a new REPL.

3 Likes

Yet another good example of third party development eventually making its mark

1 Like

There is a new python package called ptpython and it is pretty great. There are some features like the autocomplete that I wish the Julia REPL had.

Julia REPL does have auto complete! Type half a symbol and hit TAB.

1 Like

Maybe Cole means the drop-down menu, like you’d have if you use IJulia:

I’ve feel like I’ve seen discussions (maybe even a prototype) about this, maybe from @tecosaur ?

3 Likes

Correct. Yeah when you use ptpython, you not only get drop down that you can arrow through and select but it pops up automatically without hitting tab. Just like an IDE.

I love the Julia REPL! I was just mentioning that this was a pretty cool feature.

Seems super annoying to me to have that without hitting <TAB> but I assume configuring whether this automatically shows up or only on tab would be easy once the functionality is there.

I hadn’t made up that mockup above, it’s here:

https://julialang.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/404905-repl/topic/Safely.20changing.20terminal.20modes/near/420581109

2 Likes

Isn’t it the same as ipython, and IJulia in Jupyter as shown above?

Yeah pretty much. I just haven’t ever found a way in both ipython and IJulia (in jupyterlab) to get tab completion to show up automatically like it does for me in vscode (of course using a jupyter notebook in vscode this works). You have to hit the tab key for it to show up in jupyterlab.

It would be a nice feature in the repl though too imo. That being the drop-down menu as well as the option for it to auto drop down.

1 Like

Yup, I think it’s fallen into the slack hole now, but it’s something I’ve got in mind as part of the revised REPL effort.

1 Like