Purpose of the "intro-issue" tag

I’ve been wondering about this for some time. What is the “intro-issue” tag supposed to signal? Just that the issue has a simple fix that would be appropriate even for a Julia beginner to tackle but no-one has gotten around to yet because it is not really a big issue, or is it meant as a way of keeping some issues around for new-comers to tackle?

I’m asking because I do have some PRs merged in JuliaLang, but as much as I would like to patch Julia code all day for a living, I am not currently in such a fortunate position! However, sometimes I do have an hour to kill, and could probably close an intro-issue or two, but I don’t feel comfortable doing so, as I somewhat feel like I’m making it harder for new, inexperienced people to have a go at making a PR.

So, to clarify the situation, what exactly is the intent of the intro-issue tag?

Best!

1 Like

Yes.

However, I think it would be no good if work doesn’t get done because people are waiting for an inexperienced person to do it. We don’t really have that luxury where we have to be careful in doing too much work… In my opinion, if you can fix an issue, just fix it.

That’s why the tag is used for issues that are not especially critical to address quickly, typically minor feature improvements. Even if a patch is easy, it takes a certain amount of time to create tests, build Julia, run tests, update documentation, create PR, etcetera. So, if an experienced developer doesn’t have time to get around to it right away, we can add the tag to indicate that it is easy for anyone to take a crack at if they feel like it.

Sure, but I thought the point of this thread was to answer the question “should an experienced developer avoid making PRs that close intro issues”? My answer to that is no, close away.

5 Likes