Precompiling Plots.jl fails on julia 1.0

First off, congrats on finally reaching 1.0! It’s awesome. Excited as I am I dove straight into downloading and installing 1.0. I also cleaned out anything from my .julia folders to make sure I’m starting out fresh. :slight_smile:

Anyway here goes: My problem comes when trying to precompile Plots.jl. Perhaps Plots.jl is not ported to 1.0 yet?

Reproducible(on my machine) example.

using Pkg
Pkg.add("Plots")
using Plots

Which leads to this error:

[ Info: Precompiling Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80]
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: UndefVarError: endof not defined
Stacktrace:
[1] getproperty(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./sysimg.jl:13
[2] top-level scope at none:0
[3] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[4] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1038
[5] include at ./sysimg.jl:29 [inlined]
[6] include(::String) at /home/michael/.julia/packages/Plots/mqUvK/src/Plots.jl:3
[7] top-level scope at none:0
[8] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[9] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1038
[10] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29
[11] top-level scope at none:2
[12] eval at ./boot.jl:319 [inlined]
[13] eval(::Expr) at ./client.jl:389
[14] top-level scope at ./none:3
in expression starting at /home/michael/.julia/packages/Plots/mqUvK/src/types.jl:90
in expression starting at /home/michael/.julia/packages/Plots/mqUvK/src/Plots.jl:156
ERROR: Failed to precompile Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80] to /home/michael/.julia/compiled/v1.0/Plots/ld3vC.ji.
Stacktrace:
[1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33
[2] macro expansion at ./logging.jl:313 [inlined]
[3] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1184
[4] _require(::Base.PkgId) at ./logging.jl:311
[5] require(::Base.PkgId) at ./loading.jl:852
[6] macro expansion at ./logging.jl:311 [inlined]
[7] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:834

I’m using Ubuntu Linux 17.10 on a Surface pro 4.

Best,
Michael

Exactly. It’ll be ready soon. You can join the slack (julialang.slack.com) and the plotting channel to follow the discussions, but it’s almost ready to be tagged.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks!

There’s currently a hackathon in the aftermath of JuliaCon, and I think quite a few maintainers of core packages are working to get their packages ready. Many are already ready, tagged and published, but not all.

Is there a list somewhere of packages already ported?

I don’t think so. The best way to generate such a list is to run PkgEvaluator. @Keno did it frequently throughout the week, but I’m not sure if he’s still updating the number of packages passing tests. You can follow the merges here, but it’s not a super convenient way of getting an overview of the ecosystem https://github.com/JuliaLang/METADATA.jl/issues?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

Maybe this one is the closest you’ll find https://gist.github.com/Keno/eaf49cc99f5767d77f4a2cc7cb4e3ec2

How did you find that? :joy: But that looks like a good bet on such a list.

Slack :slight_smile: Come join us!

Why many are “skipped”?

It may be known that it’s dependencies are not working, so it’s not worth running it either.

1 Like

Just for anyone reading this thread in the future. Plots.jl works with julia v 1.0 now. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great! I think it was helpful that a few people involved in Plots and the surrounding packages were at the hackathon ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So the installing and precompiling works perfectly but somehow I cannot recreate a variant of the plot example from the manual. The code is the following:

using Distributions
using Plots

println("Verify that the world still works");
a = rand(Distributions.Gaussian(10, 5), 100);
b = rand(Distributions.Gaussian(10, 5), 100);

plot(x=a, y=b)

It results in the screen being just white as in the screenshot. Any ideas?

Try plot(a, b)

same result. :-/

What if you try from the REPL?

Same as far as I can see…

Could be the plotting backend? Are all packages up to date? For what it’s worth, it works fine here on a clean v1.0 installation.

It works fine for me if I use UnicodePlots. All packages are up to date. It seems like I have issues with GR backend. But I did a complete fresh install too. So perhaps it’s a GTK setting or whatever GR is using that’s messing it up? Are you on Ubuntu too?