Just downloaded Julia, want to add Plots package, all I get is crashes

Hello,
I just downloaded Julia so I am a total noob.
I click the Julia.exe
then “]” to enter the pkg > REPL
then I write “add Plots” press enter
Since 20 minitues it is frozen in this stage
I have no idea what I could have done wrong, please help

• Windows 10 machine
  • Intel i7 CPU
  Progress [=========================>               ]  56/92
  ✗ FriBidi_jll
  ✗ Bzip2_jll
  ✗ Libgpg_error_jll
  ✗ Xorg_libXau_jll
  ✗ Opus_jll
  ◒ Xorg_libXdmcp_jll
  ✗ Libmount_jll
  ✗ Zstd_jll
  ◑ OpenSSL_jll
  ✗ x265_jll
  ✗ libpng_jll
  ✗ LAME_jll
  ✗ Gettext_jll
  ✗ Wayland_jll
  ✗ Latexify
  ✗ JSON
  ✗ Tables
  ✗ Contour
  ✗ DataStructures
  ✗ FreeType2_jll
  ✗ Libgcrypt_jll
  ✗ Libtiff_jll
  ✗ Glib_jll
  ✗ Wayland_protocols_jll
  ✗ StructArrays
  ✗ SortingAlgorithms
  ✗ Fontconfig_jll
  ✗ libass_jll
  ✗ XSLT_jll
  ✗ GeometryBasics
  ✗ StatsBase

I uninstalled Julia 1.6.1 and switched to 1.4.2 now it works.

you don’t have to wait for the auto-precompile. See if using Plots works in your 1.6.1.

I’ve noticed sometimes the auto-precompile fails because too many parallel julia processes are running

1 Like

You mean I without typing add Plots first, just going straight with using Plots ?

after adding Plots, you can Ctrl-C to kill the auto-precompile, or when you see it has failed/frozen, you can just close the window and re-open Julia then using Plots. The precompilation failure is separate from add – you have the pkg added just fine.

1 Like

Thank you, now I get it. Will try it out.

Unfortunately it didn’t work, produces this error:

_
   _       _ _(_)_     |  Documentation: https://docs.julialang.org
  (_)     | (_) (_)    |
   _ _   _| |_  __ _   |  Type "?" for help, "]?" for Pkg help.
  | | | | | | |/ _` |  |
  | | |_| | | | (_| |  |  Version 1.6.1 (2021-04-23)
 _/ |\__'_|_|_|\__'_|  |  Official https://julialang.org/ release
|__/                   |

julia> using Plots
[ Info: Precompiling Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80]

Please submit a bug report with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Please sub
Please submit a bug repor at 0x0 --  at 0x0 -- it a bug report with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x0 --  at 0x0 -- CESS_VIOLATION with steps to reproduce this fault, and any error messages that follow (in their entirety). Thanks.
Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0x0 -- unknown function (ip: 0000000000000000)
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\Bzip2_jll\aAOqr\src\Bzip2_jll.jl:5
in expression starting at C:\Users\YavorERROR: LoadError: LoadError: Failed to precompile Bzip2_jll [6e34b625-4abd-537c-b88f-471c36dfa7a0] to C:\Users\zama\.julia\compiled\v1.6\Bzip2_jll\jl_61F1.tmp.
Stacktrace:
  [1] error(s::String)
    @ Base .\error.jl:33
  [2] compilecache(pkg::Base.PkgId, path::String, internal_stderr::Base.TTY, internal_stdout::Base.TTY)
    @ Base .\loading.jl:1360
  [3] compilecache(pkg::Base.PkgId, path::String)
    @ Base .\loading.jl:1306
  [4] _require(pkg::Base.PkgId)
    @ Base .\loading.jl:1021
  [5] require(uuidkey::Base.PkgId)
    @ Base .\loading.jl:914
  [6] require(into::Module, mod::Symbol)
    @ Base .\loading.jl:901
  [7] include(mod::Module, _path::String)
    @ Base .\Base.jl:386
  [8] top-level scope
    @ C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\JLLWrappers\bkwIo\src\toplevel_generators.jl:170
  [9] include
    @ .\Base.jl:386 [inlined]
 [10] include_package_for_output(pkg::Base.PkgId, input::String, depot_path::Vector{String}, dl_load_path::Vector{String}, load_path::Vector{String}, concrete_deps::Vector{Pair{Base.PkgId, UInt64}}, source::String)
    @ Base .\loading.jl:1213
 [11] top-level scope
    @ none:1
 [12] eval
    @ .\boot.jl:360 [inlined]
 [13] eval(x::Expr)
    @ Base.MainInclude .\client.jl:446
 [14] top-level scope
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\FreeType2_jll\K7fyn\src\wrappers\x86_64-w64-mingw32.jl:4
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\FreeType2_jll\K7fyn\src\FreeType2_jll.jl:2
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: Failed to precompile FreeType2_jll [d7e528f0-a631-5988-bf34-fe36492bcfd7] to C:\Users\zama\.julia\compiled\v1.6\FreeType2_jll\jl_59B3.tmp.
Stacktrace:
  [2] compilecache(pkg::Base.PkgId, path::String, internal_stderr::Base.TTY, internal_stdout::Base.TTY)
  [8] top-level scope
    @ C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\JLLWrappers\bkwIo\src\toplevel_generators.jl:170
  [9] include
 [10] include_package_for_output(pkg::Base.PkgId, input::String, depot_path::Vector{String}, dl_load_path::Vector{String}, load_path::Vector{String}, concrete_deps::Vector{Pair{Base.PkgId, UInt64}}, source::String)
 [11] top-level scope
 [12] eval
 [14] top-level scope
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\libass_jll\uUbBl\src\wrappers\x86_64-w64-mingw32.jl:4
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\libass_jll\uUbBl\src\libass_jll.jl:2
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: Failed to precompile libass_jll [0ac62f75-1d6f-5e53-bd7c-93b484bb37c0] to C:\Users\zama\.julia\compiled\v1.6\libass_jll\jl_5137.tmp.
Stacktrace:
  [8] top-level scope
  [9] include
 [11] top-level scope
 [12] eval
 [14] top-level scope
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\FFMPEG_jll\xCSqL\src\wrappers\x86_64-w64-mingw32.jl:4
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\FFMPEG_jll\xCSqL\src\FFMPEG_jll.jl:2
ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile FFMPEG_jll [b22a6f82-2f65-5046-a5b2-351ab43fb4e5] to C:\Users\zama\.julia\compiled\v1.6\FFMPEG_jll\jl_48AC.tmp.
Stacktrace:
  [7] include
  [8] include_package_for_output(pkg::Base.PkgId, input::String, depot_path::Vector{String}, dl_load_path::Vector{String}, load_path::Vector{String}, concrete_deps::Vector{Pair{Base.PkgId, UInt64}}, source::String)
  [9] top-level scope
 [10] eval
 [11] eval(x::Expr)
 [12] top-level scope
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\FFMPEG\aazvf\src\FFMPEG.jl:1
ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile FFMPEG [c87230d0-a227-11e9-1b43-d7ebe4e7570a] to C:\Users\zama\.julia\compiled\v1.6\FFMPEG\jl_45EE.tmp.
Stacktrace:
  [7] include
  [8] include_package_for_output(pkg::Base.PkgId, input::String, depot_path::Vector{String}, dl_load_path::Vector{String}, load_path::Vector{String}, concrete_deps::Vector{Pair{Base.PkgId, UInt64}}, source::Nothing)
  [9] top-level scope
 [10] eval
 [11] eval(x::Expr)
 [12] top-level scope
in expression starting at C:\Users\zama\.julia\packages\Plots\lzHOt\src\Plots.jl:1
ERROR: Failed to precompile Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80] to C:\Users\zama\.julia\compiled\v1.6\Plots\jl_BFE4.tmp.
Stacktrace:

julia>
1 Like

now that’s some weird error message worth opening an issue on github maybe

1 Like

This also shouldn’t be happening. Worth a bug report if you’ve seen it in a stable release or recent master

https://github.com/JuliaLang/Pkg.jl/issues/2404

1 Like

Ah I thought you were referring to more typical usage. That issue does highlight a problem in shared resource systems where Sys.CPU_THREADS returns an inaccurate number.

Worth noting for others suffering that, that there is a workaround in the issue.

But that’s not the main issue in this thread. That seems much more broken.

I’d recommend uninstalling and reinstalling 1.6

1 Like

Do you mean uninstalling 1.6.1 (the current stable release) and reinstalling it? I did that two times already, doesn’t work. Or is there some other version called 1.6?

Sounds like you did the right thing, but just checking, did you install the 64-bit version? Assuming your system is 64-bit.

versioninfo() will give you that info

Yes, the 64-bit version on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine

@zamazalotta Please consider using the Chocolatey package manager to install and update Julia. It solves a lot of problems and I use it regularly.