Please support people from the global south to attend UN conferences

Dear Julians,

I think many of you are scientists, and we have the privilege to go to many conferences in the whole world to present our research.

Not everybody has the privilege of attending international conferences, in particular universities from the global south often do not have the resources to pay travel costs and stay.

I find it important that also people from the global south can be present and listened to on global conferences like the INC-4 on plastic pollution in Ottawa in April 2024.

Therefore, I want to ask you to support the following fundraiser: Fundraiser by Uwe Fechner : Dianah Mugalizi joining INC-4 on plastic pollution

Let’s work together on a better future!

5 Likes

Some more background information:

Plastic waste is a huge, world wide problem, in particular in the ocean. Many animals are dying when getting entangled or eating the waste. Because the waste brakes down to smaller and smaller pieces, this micro-plastic ends up in the food chain and negatively impacts the health of humans.

While in many fields the United Nations are quite powerless, there is the chance that in this field a binding treaty could be signed on INC-4 conference in Ottawa in April. This would be a huge step in the right direction.

Therefore, please support our cause: https://gofund.me/7f3d71e1

4 Likes

Your last chance to become part of our climate justice movement (the conference starts in 5 days):

Plastic waste is a huge, world wide problem, in particular in the ocean. Many animals are dying when getting entangled or eating the waste. Because the waste breaks down to smaller and smaller pieces, this micro-plastic ends up in the food chain and has a negative effect on the health of humans.

While in many fields the United Nations are quite powerless, there is the chance that in this field a binding treaty could be signed on INC-4 conference in Ottawa in April. This would be a huge step in the right direction.

To make climate justice happen I want to ask you to support the following fundraiser: Fundraiser by Uwe Fechner : Dianah Mugalizi joining INC-4 on plastic pollution to make it possible for Dianah Mugalizi, an activist from Kenya to join the INC-4 conference in Ottawa.

As academics from rich countries we have the privilege to join many conferences. Please support others such that their voices can be heard!

4 Likes