Package subtopic

Any reason there isn’t a subtopic under Tooling (or maybe Usage) specifically for package management (Pkg, registry, etc.)?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Sure, we could create that. Could you come up with the category “brief”? What should go there, what’s it about, etc.

1 Like

Sure: Any questions and discussions specifically about the package manager, the registry, processes related to these, and so on. The package ecosystem being such a central piece of the healthy growth of Julia, it seems to me this merits a distinct place on Discourse just like e.g. VS Code or Pluto.

Also I’d hope it would encourage more such discussion to be here instead of Slack, where the slackhole ‘event horizon’ is apparently less than 2 weeks behind us:

I’m specifically after what goes in the initially pinned topic for the category. Here’s the placeholder prompt:

(Replace this first paragraph with a brief description of your new category. This guidance will appear in the category selection area, so try to keep it below 200 characters. Until you edit this description or create topics, this category won’t appear on the categories page. )

Use the following paragraphs for a longer description, or to establish category guidelines or rules:

• Why should people use this category? What is it for?
  • How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?
  • What should topics in this category generally contain?
  • Do we need this category? Can we merge with another category, or subcategory?

Also what should the exact category name be? Tooling → Packages? Or Package Management? Are there some topics off the top of your head that should get moved there?

1 Like

So like this then? About the VS Code category

j/k… I’ll put something together. To be clear I’m suggesting a subcategory of Tooling as opposed to a top level category.

1 Like

Hahah, yeah, that’s what I want to prevent. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Questions, comments, suggestions and other discussion concerning package management in Julia. This can include discussion of Julia’s package manager Pkg.jl itself, about package registries, processes around registration, and so on.

To be clear it’s not a place to start a new topic about a specific package unless the topic is mainly around packaging itself as opposed to usage of said package. The exception of course is Pkg.jl, and perhaps others concerned primarily with packaging such as PkgTemplates.jl.

<placeholder to put packaging FAQ’s and pointers to the most important packaging related docs>

• Do we need this category? Can we merge with another category, or subcategory?

I think so – I don’t think any existing subcategories cover it and the most appropriate place would be under Tooling without a subcategory, and with the ‘pkg’ label. But I think that might be not so discoverable and labels aren’t used consistently.

Also what should the exact category name be? Tooling → Packages? Or Package Management?

Tooling → Package Management is better, I think. Tooling → Packages sounds like a clearinghouse for questions about any random package.

Are there some topics off the top of your head that should get moved there?

I think most things with a pkg tag would belong:

https://discourse.julialang.org/tag/pkg/l/top

1 Like

That’s perfect. I’ll create it later this evening or tomorrow if nobody beats me to it.

2 Likes

Should we also fix the description for the VS Code category?

Done!

And, yes, let’s fix any others, too. How about I make them wikis? VS Code is already is a wiki!

1 Like