Offline package installation

Julia packages live on Github, and unregistered packages can be installed usign a git clone.
I guess it is easy enough to make a local copy of a repo on disk. How would one tell julia to install packages from that source, rather than Github?

The answer probably is in the documentation and is glaringly obvious.

Why not just set it up locally and copy over your .julia folder?

Chris - you mean prepare a copy at your home location, then bring the .julia folder to site.
OK, that would work.
I guess this is a use case for JuliaPro. You install JuliaPro and say “well - that is a certified and supported version - it should have everythign you need”

I like Julia very much and would like to promote its use in education.
In fact, I used it as the reference language in a book I wrote about Stochastic Processes.
I would like to propose Julia to be added on the list of accepted languages for the “agregation de mathématiques” in France (a national competition to hire math teachers as civil servants).
Of course, applicants must work with the same environment, with the good packages already installed.
Copying the .julia directory is just a dirty hack, not a real solution for the deployment.
Even if we forget the context of a national contest, the problem is the same for the deployment of Julia in a teaching department.

Of course, Julia Pro could sound like a solution, but

• the licence prevents from copying the Personal version
  • the Enterprise version is too expensive

This is really a strong issue which prevents me to go further in the promotion of Julia.

I am not sure why you replied in this topic — is offline installation (not use, which I would understand) a requirement for these national competitions? In any case, for a perfectly reproducible environment, you can pin the exact versions in the REQUIRE file, or just use a Docker image. The latter should be trivial for any system administrator nowadays. It also allows would-be contestants to download the precise test environment and learn to work in it.

Deployment should be the easiest problem to deal with when promoting Julia, especially in an institutional setting.

The competitions use a special bootable key, so yes, offline installation is mandatory.
The guy which organizes it is not employed as a system administrator, he is a teacher whose work in this task is mainly pro bono.
So, basically, if I can tell him just apt-get install julia julia-packages, the answer will probably be yes, but I can not ask him to plunge into the details of a software he has probably never used.

This post seems also related to these problems

Perhaps I have to wait Pkg3

I am confused about the requirements, eg

but

so I am not sure what needs to be offline and online.

Perhaps the person organizing this could ask questions here with the exact requirements and get more specific help.

Many people do a lot of work without compensation in the free software world, so this situation is not uncommon. Nevertheless, if specific tools are needed, someone has to step up and invest the work. This looks like a problem that is solvable with some time investment, so maybe you could help him out? Basic Docker stuff can be learned in an afternoon, I did that for a unit testing setup for a package.