Offline installation of packages: Move from computer with the internet access to another offline computer

I am new to Julia and using JuliaPro.

I have two computers with the same OS (Windows) and the same version of JuliaPro. One computer has an internet connection and the other does not. I have to use the former computer just to download Julia packages using (Pkg.add “foo”) and the other offline computer to write and run codes for analysis. I am trying to find out how I can use packages in the offline environment.
(This development environment may sound strange, but this is the environment where I am required to work.)

The problem is, even though I copied all the packages from USER.julia\packages of the computer with the internet access to the same directory of the offline computer, an error message appears saying

Error ArgumentError: Package Plot not found in the current path.

when I run, for example, using Plots.

Does anybody know how I can solve this problem, i.e., move the installed packages from one computer to another offline computer and use it properly?

I am doubting that there might be a problem with the path settings on the offline computer, but I do not know how I can fix it.

Another idea would be to download package files from Github directly and move it to the offline computer, but I am not sure how to build them.
I know that it is easy to download and build libraries in R without facing the dependency hell, as done in the following link.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Did you try to copy the complete .julia directory to the other machine? I have the impresion that that should work. You need the environmnets subdirectory, at least.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply.
Due to the huge file size, I could not copy the entire directory of .julia.
Copying environments only did not work, but adding artifacts subdirectory along with environments worked.
I really appreciate your help.

2 Likes

You can set up a ssh port forwarding to install packages on offline computer.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/116191/give-server-access-to-internet-via-client-connecting-by-ssh