New Julia Podcast: The Julia Dispatch! First Guest: Tim Holy on Revise, Package Compilation, and More

Hi all! We (@mitiemannn and I) launched a new podcast called The Julia Dispatch, where we talk with community members about developments in the language and package ecosystem. In our first episode, we talk with @tim.holy. He shares with us his origin story: how he has become an early Julia adopter, how Revise.jl and package pre-compilation was born and how we can create tools that help Julia developers to write high-quality code.

Tim Holy is the Alan A. and Edith L. Wolff Professor of Neuroscience at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. In the Julia community, he is probably best known for his work on Revise.jl (more than 1k stars on Github) and for the Holy traits pattern which bear his name. He has made major contributions to Julia’s array infrastructure, package precompilation, and developer tools like the profiler and the debugger. He started to contribute to Julia in 2012, had his 1024th PR merged in 2016 and has contributed in over 20 Julia organization

Check out the podcast here!

(Or wherever you watch podcasts!)

If you have requests, either for specific guests, changes we should make to the show/distribution, or anything else, please get in touch.

P.S. please like, subscribe, and hit the bell!

93 Likes

“I actually kind of tried to ban usage of Julia for anyone besides myself in my lab in the early days”

So not the problem most of us have.

7 Likes

That was fantastic. Please keep it going.

6 Likes

“With Julia we can’t have just one method.” :laughing:

7 Likes

You would think that the podcast would be called the Julia Multiple Dispatch.

2 Likes

Awesome and so much fun to watch and listen to… and quite some insights to learn from as always in this community. A good time to say

THANK YOU !!

to all of you!

2 Likes

Good podcast!

15 Likes

Is there any regular feed to subscribe to this podcast in a podcatcher app? Otherwise I wouldn’t call this a podcast.

1 Like

https://anchor.fm/s/fc63539c/podcast/rss

Hopefully, that feed URL can be added to the show’s website at https://juliadispatch.fm, soon

7 Likes

Thanks not only for your kind remarks, but also for the feedback. If there is anything that you’d like to have improved or just have suggestions, please keep it coming. This podcast is for y’all, so we’re very eager to learn what you’d like to have.

Just also note: for both of us, this is not our main job, so progress will be fluctuating. Our main priority is a steady release of episodes. For now, we target a bi-weekly release schedule. Next, we’ll try to be available on all your favorite platforms. Finally, we’ll improve the website, improve the design, …

But before I think too much about all the things and let them overwhelm me, let me get back to what I was doing …

18 Likes

The hosts did a good job of giving a question as a jumping off point and then getting out of the way… Maybe Tim is not the most challenging guest in terms of forcing you to find ways to keep it moving and interesting.

As @mitiemannn pointed out, Tim radiates enthusiasm. I also appreciate his “you can do it too” asides, which I’ve seen him make at other times.

8 Likes

We certainly have a lot to be grateful for to Tim Holy!

9 Likes

What a great first podcast! The only problem is that you set the bar so high with Tim Holy as your first guest. Luckily there is a lot of talent to draw from in the Julia developer community. My dream lineup for the next few guests would include Steven Johnson, Jeff Bezanson, Stefan Karpinski, and, of course Christopher Rackauckas.

8 Likes

It was wild to hear him say he implemented memory mapped arrays (assuming Mmap) for research then say it’s not nearly as important as creating the profiler (assuming Profile, maybe even @time), and that was just the beginning.

Only thing I noticed so far is that the subtitles were inaccurate sometimes, I assume from some level of machine transcription, but it’s already much better at punctuation and formatting than Youtube’s so I’m pretty grateful to see it.

3 Likes

This is an amazing podcast, thanks!
It would be great to also have guests from time to time that come from „outside the Julia world“. For example, Chris Lattner on LLVM and Mojo, Dirk Eddelbuettel on Rcpp and the possibilities of juliac as a replacement or competitor to Rcpp, Hadley Wickham on data science and the tidyverse, etc.

4 Likes

@3:17 Tim Holy says: And so I spent a couple of days just reading my way through the manual.
How many pages were in the Julia manual in 2012?

About 40thish pages if I am not very mistaken.

1 Like

Nice ! Thanks !
Is it going to be available on Apple Podcasts ?

1 Like

Short answer yes.

See this Slack thread for more discussion.

It was really fun!, despite I don’t know almost anything about compilers, It really catch my attention the topic and I am certainly waiting for the next episode.

I wonder what is the plan you guys have for the website, I think It can help with several things like reference links about topics mentioned in the interview (for example if the interviewer is mentioning an important library being developed It can be referenced the github and documentation in the website), the tag functionality (I think Franklin has a tag system) also can link other interviews about similar topics. Maybe there are other things that can be used but these are the only ones I am thinking could be useful :smile:.

2 Likes