Networking a game made with Julia using Firebase.jl

Hey all, this is my first time creating a post on the forums. I don’t use Julia in the way most people use it here, but if you are interested in games, you might like this. I’ve been creating a game engine using Julia and SDL2. I decided I wanted to see how long it would take to get the easiest possible networking solution available to work in my engine. So I used Firebase.jl and was able to get two clients communicating. This took me a few days on and off to figure it out. I thought it would be cool to share for anyone remotely interested. This is just a recording immediately after getting syncing of player state working. I plan on adding a simple game loop.

Link to game engine repo: GitHub - Kyjor/JulGame.jl: JulGame is a game engine based on the Julia programming language with the help of SDL2.

27 Likes

This is really neat, thanks for using Firebase.jl, let me gear it up for better support. I never really thought anyone was interested. Time to release some updates!!

This looks really cool!

10 Likes

Thank you! I definitely would have struggled on this project without being able to use it. Just sent you a message.

For anyone interested in the code for the game itself, here it it: GitHub - Kyjor/JulGame-Example at other/networking-test
I still need to clean up unnecessary files because I started with the main branch as a base and am making a different game. @Ashwani_Rathee , this might be interesting so you can see how I’m actually using Firebase.jl.

Julia can into next level of popularity?

4 Likes