Dear all …
As discussed in https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-jupyter/issues/6803, it seems that I am not able to run a multi-julia thread kernel under VSCODE using Jupyer app of VSCODE Insiders.
- VS Code version: 1.59.0-insider (Universal)
- Jupyter Extension version (available under the Extensions sidebar): v2021.8.1055544705
- Python Extension version (available under the Extensions sidebar): v2021.7.1060902895
- OS (Windows | Mac | Linux distro) and version: MAC OS X BigSur
- Python and/or Anaconda version: Python 3.8.8 (default, Apr 13 2021, 12:59:45)
The step to reproduce the problem are the following:
using IJulia installkernel("Julia_8_threads", env=Dict("JULIA_NUM_THREADS"=>"8"))
Jupyter: Create new blank notebook (from VSCODE) → set kernel to Julia_8_threads.
The kernel does not start: Timed out waiting to get a heartbeat from kernel process.
Single threaded notebooks are ok.
Finally please note that if I run the kernel in chrome (with IJulia) the 8 thread kernel works perfectly
From a discussion with @rchiodo,
According to the kernel API, they should return a heartbeat whenever we [ping ](https://jupyter-client.readthedocs.io/en/stable/messaging.html#heartbeat-for-kernels)the heartbeat port. And it does with single threaded mode. I don't know why it's not in multithreaded mode. Might be a bug in the kernel.
Is this something worth reporting as an IJulia issue?