Monthly meetups kickstart: JuliaDynamics (and beyond!)

Hey all! Inspired by the JuliaHealth meetings I am going to be organizing and coordinating monthly meetings for the general topic:

Dynamical systems, complex systems, nonlinear dynamics, and nonlinear timeseries analysis in/with Julia.

Please vote preferred days and timeslots at the end of the post!

Anyone interested is welcomed to join these meetings! My guess is that the majority of participants will be either members of, or users of, the JuliaDynamics GitHub org, so I’ll name them “JuliaDynamics Meeting” to parallel the JuliaHealth Meetings. But to be clear, there is no necessity for the participants to be members nor users of the org!

The idea for these meetings is to be recurring every month and be a maximum of 1 hour long.

In the start of most meetings there will be a short (max 20 mins) academic or industry talk that utilizes some Julia software under this umbrella topic. This talk is not a mandatory component of the meetings, but I’ve collected about 20 or so speakers already so we can keep the talks going for a while!

The remaining ~40 minutes will be composed of some agenda that I’ll be (trying to) set up before the meetings. Here is a list of things possible within the meetings (and feel free to add more suggestions):

• Just a place for people to meet each other and introduce themselves in real time.
  • Small talks introducing a new package or a new feature in a package.
  • Technical talks on some code implementation in some package that could be of general use or interest.
  • Ideas for development or interfaces that increase communication across packages.
  • Organizational stuff on packages: some important issues to be solved, things that need work in terms of docs, upcoming projects, blog posts, tutorials, …
  • Open discussion and open questions.
  • New features we’d like to have
  • whatever else you want!!!

I’ll be doing my best to schedule the talks in the meetings so that there is an alternation: one month focuses on nonlinear dynamics (e.g., DynamicalSystems.jl, nonlinear timeseries analysis, SciML stuff, …) and the next month focuses on complex systems (e.g., Agents.jl, NetworkDynamics.jl, agent based modelling, networks, …).

If you are interested to join these meetings then:

1. Please say so in this thread. Please also say whether you are interested to be a regular of the meeting, or you want to give a talk, or you may come by once in a while. It is also completely fine if you want to join for the talks at the start, and then exit the meeting after the talks!
  2. Pick your preferred day/time in the voting poll below. The meetings will be in the 3rd X day of the month each month. We are starting September 2024!
  3. Suggest more speakers for the academic/industry talk part of the meeting. I have started a work in progress google spreadsheet where you can add suggestions, use the Science Talk Sheet of this Google Sheet. And of course feel free to suggest your own self!!!

In the latest JuliaCon I realized that are a lot of people doing very cool stuff with packages from JuliaDynamics, and there are also many other cool projects outside this particular GitHub org. So my hope with these meetings is to have a coordinated effort to promote the cool stuff the community is doing, increase the coordination and collaboration between different projects, and have a place we can also just meet and chat casually on either code or science. In this way we also increase accessibility as new members can hop in the meetings to introduce themselves or discuss problems or needs they have!

We also have the opportunity to put recordings of the meeting on the JuliaLang YouTube channel, however, we should discuss this in our first meeting as I can completely understand a participant not being okay with this!

Please vote!

Meetings will happen on the 3rd “X” day of each month! X will be:

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
0 voters

Please also indicate the timeslots that are suitable for you! Assuming CET timezone:

• 10am
  • 11am
  • 12 (am?)
  • 1pm
  • 2pm
  • 3pm
  • 4pm
  • 5pm
  • 6pm
0 voters
13 Likes

Sounds great! I will be a regular listener :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Great initiative! I will do my best to attend

3 Likes

Fantastic, great thanks everyone for joining!!! Democracy concludes with Fridays at 4pm CET time!!! Remember we meet every 3rd Friday of the month at 4pm, starting with September!!! Thank you!!! I will see you all soon!!!

Here is the meeting link:

Join the meeting now

(this is a recurrent meeting, save the link for the future!)

4 Likes