Maybe this is off topic but I don't think so

As a present to myself, I built my Christmas gift: Ryzen 9 9750 on an Asrock mobo, 64 gb main memory (128 implementation still has problems AIUI,) and a Unicorn for main NVMe drive (gen 4!- gen 5 still not available to mere mortals). And foolishly went even deeper into hock for a Radeon 7900XTX graphics card; I have been pretty much nVidia person for decades but after much research it seems that the GPU environment in Julia is – almost – there! Btw, the XTX runs Heaven w/full blown tricks at 112 fps!
And, OMG, is this machine F-A-S-T!!! Julia compiles are finished even before my fingers are off the enter key! I have -never- had this kind of responsiveness from any genre of computer, even the half-million dollar versions of the SGI workstations.
Being on SS, it will take me until next Christmas to pay if all off but in my defense, I’ve not upgraded my main machine in nearly nine years. So I was due. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
If I fire up a task that uses all 32 CPU cores, the water cooler starts melting like the Wicked Witch of the West. (Not literally but close.) :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to get it into a mini-cluster with some Jetson Nano’s, RPi’s, older generation desktops, and etc.
As usual, I made a big mistake and booted/built the boot off of a gen 3 NVMe, before the gen 4 arrived and now have royally screwed up my boot system; not even the grub2 boot fixer disk could get me out of the mess I got myself into, so I’ll reinit the gen 4 drive again, but with the other NVMe’s removed. That means reinstalling all the drivers, video cards, Julia, and everything all from scratch. That’s not hard but it is tedious. And I can’t remember the methods of installing Rocm, of course.
Wish me luck, guys.
Thanks.

4 Likes