Maximum number of likes

I am getting messages like this from Discourse:

You have reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait X before trying again.

where X ranges from 4 hours to 2 minutes. I don’t think I am giving more likes than usual, did any of the site settings change recently?

15 Likes

Doesn’t matter as long you still lilke me :wink:

(edited: thank you)

7 Likes

I don’t know about any changes, but I can say from the stats in my page that you have liked me ~700% more times than number two :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I will try to change that… :wink:

Clearly, you are being too enthusiastic, and need to dial it down :wink:

Personally, I’m pretty stingy about giving out likes, for some reason. If I suddenly went on a rampage and realized I had reached the “maximum number of likes”, I would take a coffee break (a break from coffe, that is), and go for a walk.

3 Likes

And I see now that for me its only 525%, please be more enthusiastic, @Tamas_Papp
:rofl:

5 Likes

I like giving out :heart:s. For me it basically means one of the following:

1. I agree with what you said,
  2. I appreciate that you took the time and effort to help someone,
  3. I learned something interesting and/or useful from your post,
  4. You did something else which made this forum and/or the Julia community a better place.

Gimme more likes! Increase my quota and I will dish them out! :wink:

75 Likes

@Tamas_Papp, I am considered some kind of programming whiz in my small circle of Julia users because of the number of likes you’ve given me. Let’s keep this going, shall we? :wink:

6 Likes

There was recently a discussion on discourse.org about this… if you’re interested in how the sausage is made this link might be helpful. I don’t think we (the local admins here) have changed anything.

I can look into increasing the quotas…

2 Likes

Here are the current limits:

As a trust level 3 (TL3) “regular” you get 100 likes per day. Given that you’re the only person with the “higher love” badge, I think I’ll just increase the multipliers to keep that badge attainable for more folks (my reading of that thread is that it ignores the multiplier). Maybe I’ll start by matching the multipliers by their trust levels, giving you 50 more hearts per day.

Let me know if you still hit that limit with this change!

11 Likes

Unrelated to the likes issue, but indeed related to Discourse being a very opinionated piece of software:

Apparently I cannot support a user of one of my packages without being nagged. Not amusing.

2 Likes

That’s just a gentle nudge (internally called the “get a room” threshold) and it’s set at the default value right now (3). It might mean that a different medium could be more effective, or it might mean that a private thread might be more appropriate, or it might be good to make space for others to chime in, or it might be something that’d make sense for you to ignore.

It’s not blocking you from posting.

11 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

I didn’t mean it was blocking me – it’s easy to dismiss. What bothers me is that Discourse “thinks” I need the “gentle nudge”, that I don’t have the capacity to decide for myself how to carry on a conversation.

But nevermind – Discourse has many other great features. I just needed to get that off my chest.

1 Like