Makie: problem with line plots?

I am encountering an issue with GLMakie where lines on plots are drawn incorrectly as shown below. Only tiny segments of the line appear. Strangely, the plot is rendered correctly the first time the plotting command is called, but after that things break.

The code below produces the problem for me when run in a Jupyter notebook or in the terminal.

using GLMakie

lines(-8π..8π, sin)   # first call is ok

lines(-8π..8π, sin)   # second call

I am using julia v1.7.0 and GLMakie v0.4.7.

Anyone else having this issue? It also occurs with other type of plots like contour.

What GPU and OS is this?

Processor / Graphics: AMD® Ryzen 7 pro 4750u
AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.42.0, 5.15.6-200.fc35.x86_64, LLVM 13.0.0)

Let me know what else I can provide.

Looks like this amd driver bug:
https://github.com/JuliaPlots/Makie.jl/issues/1460

Definitely looks like the same issue - thanks for clearing things up. I must have missed that bug report. Thankfully, CairoMakie works just fine.

Curious - since this is like driver issue, does that mean the AMD driver itself is somehow broken or that Makie is not communicating properly with the driver?

Many thanks for your efforts on Makie. It is a wonderful visualization tool!

1 Like

The OpenGL spec is a bit fuzzy here and there, so there is a chance that amd simply is the only one who differs a bit, while not being strictly wrong…
But there is also a good chance that it’s straight up a driver bug - will need some investigation, which is hard without being able to reproduce