Make is running forever

I wanted to build Julia from scratch so I cloned the Julia repo today and ran make.

It has been Generating precompile statements... for 10+ hours now. Is it normal for it to take so long? This is the third time I’m running make on this system.

I ran make on a similar system last time and it took like 4 hours to finish.

Not much of my RAM is being utilized. The specs of my PC are listed below.

How much longer should I wait? How can I make this faster? What is the time taken on average for Generating precompile statements... to finish running?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Running inxi -Fxz gives me the following output:

System:    Host: ougankaze Kernel: 5.5.7-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Vostro 14-3468 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 03T9D4 v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 3.3.0 date: 01/17/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 29.4 Wh condition: 29.4/41.4 Wh (71%) model: SMP DELL VN3N047 status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-7200U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Amber Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 21607 
           Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 400/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 600 2: 600 3: 600 4: 600 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.7 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 19.3.4 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.5.7-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Dell driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel 
           port: f040 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 
           bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-3: Qualcomm Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-8:4 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 90.57 GiB (9.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM049-2GH172 size: 931.51 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 915.60 GiB used: 90.56 GiB (9.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: 48.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 187 Uptime: 1d 22h 59m Memory: 7.65 GiB used: 2.98 GiB (38.9%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.2.1 
           Shell: bash v: 5.0.16 inxi: 3.0.37

I would run make -j$(nproc). But that wont speed up the generating precompile statement step.
It normally only takes a few minutes. You could try make clean and rebuild.


I do not know what the problem was, but when I removed the julia repo from my pc and cloned it again, make was done in under half an hour.