Launching the graphs community calls

In an effort to strengthen the graphs ecosystem, and following the lead of other organizations, we are launching the graphs community calls :tada:

Our first goal is that contributors get to know each other and agree on a set of ground rules for collaboration, like a PR review policy. The SciML ColPrac might be a source of inspiration, but other suggestions like the ones in this thread by @TheCedarPrince are welcome too.
Then, these calls will be used for issue triage and discussion of ongoing projects… or maybe even to have a good time chatting together, who knows :person_shrugging:

If you are interested in joining us, could you answer the following polls so that we pick a slot that suits most people?

On which day(s) are you typically available?
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
0 voters
At which time(s) are you typically available?

The times are given in UTC, so convert to your local timezone before answering :clock1:

• 00:00 UTC
  • 02:00 UTC
  • 04:00 UTC
  • 06:00 UTC
  • 08:00 UTC
  • 10:00 UTC
  • 12:00 UTC
  • 14:00 UTC
  • 16:00 UTC
  • 18:00 UTC
  • 20:00 UTC
  • 22:00 UTC
0 voters

We will post the date and time of the first call on this thread, and probably set up a shared calendar shortly thereafter. I’m excited to meet all of you!

14 Likes

I’m very interested, and joining from NZ so not so worried about dates and time (it’s going to be a challenge in any case).

1 Like

PS a follow up question here (and the related discussion about harmonizing the Julia graphs ecosystem). Are packages about graph analysis in the scope of the effort or not? I have the impression that constellation of packages is even more sparse, but it might be worth a try.

I would say they are, but that’s one thing we can discuss on the call. At the moment Graphs.jl is rather focus on graph optimization, but there are some graph analysis tools in the Scheinerverse that we could maybe adapt

The people have spoken: the first graphs community call will take place on

Thursday, September 28th at 16:00 UTC

Here is the Zoom invitation:

3 Likes

Yes, I’m in a conflict of interest here, as I’m maintaining a little thing in the space too (GitHub - gvdr/DotProductGraphs.jl). And there are other examples that are discipline specific, such as @tpoisot and lab’s SpeciesInteractionNetworks for ecology (which, correct me if I’m wrong Tim, is not built on Graphs.jl)…

It isn’t. I started working on adopting the Graphs.jl API but gave up because I couldn’t manage it from the examples in the documentation

1 Like

Yeah there are no examples of implementing the API, sorry about that. Just opened an issue to keep track:

Feel free to weigh in!

The first community call was a success, thanks everyone!

You’ll find the notes in this issue, don’t hesitate to add anything I might have forgotten.

We agreed on a monthly meeting, so the next one will take place

Thursday, October 26th at 16:00 UTC

The Zoom link will also be posted here.

4 Likes

The next community call is this coming Thursday! Rejoice!
Here’s the Zoom link btw: https://epfl.zoom.us/j/69476206800

The minutes of the last meeting are avaible at JuliaGraphs-meta. It was essentially a discussion on the compromise between vertex labels and integer labels.

Due to JuliaLon Local Eindhoven taking place at the end of this month, the next JuliaGraphs community call will be on

Thursday, November 23th at 5 pm UTC

Notice the change in time because most of our contributors are in Europe and the US, which have recently shifted their clocks.

Feel free to suggest agenda items

Here’s the Zoom info:

https://epfl.zoom.us/j/68308262736?pwd=bmtzU09DNVpvSjI0QWowWWtrNG04dz09

Meeting ID: 683 0826 2736
Passcode: 801010

3 Likes

Any chance you can add it to the Julia community calendar? Community

1 Like

Yeah I’m inquiring on Slack as to the process cause it still says to email Logan

Unfortunately that falls on Thanksgiving so I won’t be able to make this one but I’m looking forward to the next one!

1 Like

I’m going to try working on the calendar tonight.

edit: It’s on the calendar:

1 Like

I didn’t plan a community meeting for the end of this month cause I thought we’d all be busy with holidays, but we’ll be back in January for more graph-ing!

1 Like

After a brief Christmas break, we’ll be back next week to talk about recent graph developments! Benchmarking efforts, interface specification or JuliaCon talks will be some of the topics that we might discuss :slight_smile:

Jan 25, 2024 at 16:00 Universal Time UTC

https://epfl.zoom.us/j/68955790686?pwd=RHpCcmlqYWRFTk9oSmx2ZXpxUnFqUT09

4 Likes

Next community call will be on Thursday Feb 29th at 4pm UTC! I set up a recurring Zoom meeting for the last Thursday of each month at that same time, it should keep us busy for a while

https://epfl.zoom.us/j/67203469756?pwd=TFFyOWlkZSthWVNUeEtMajI3eHpkUT09

Your friendly reminder that there is a Graphs community call set up for tomorrow, like every last Thursday of the month.
All the details (time, Zoom call) are on the Julia community calendar (Community). I won’t be able to attend this one, but I have prepared an issue if you want to take notes, along with some topic ideas: Community call - 2024.03.28 · Issue #15 · JuliaGraphs/JuliaGraphs-meta · GitHub
Have fun!

1 Like

Looks like this might be the right forum to ask: do you know where to find parallel graph coloring? Is there something in the Julia package offering?