Latest stable documentation not being deployed

I’m trying to get the stable documentation for ApproxFun.jl to build.

The tagbot script contains

ssh: ${{ secrets.DOCUMENTER_KEY }}

and the documentation job script contains

on:
  pull_request:
  push:
    branches:
      - 'master'
      - 'backport**'
    tags: '*'

but, for some reason, the documenter job didn’t run on the recently tagged versions. In the past, the SSH secret hadn’t been included, so the documentation wasn’t being built on tags. I added this in v0.13.8, and was able to get the documentation to build and deploy correctly by pushing a tag manually. This is available now as the documentation for v0.13.8. However, after that, the documenter job didn’t get triggered when versions v0.13.9 and 0.13.10 were tagged by the tagbot. I just tried pushing an additional tag v0.13.10-doc1 manually, but even that didn’t trigger the documenter job. I wonder why the job isn’t being triggered on tags?

The secret seems ok, as the documentation for v0.13.8 did build correctly.

@fredrikekre sorry to tag you, but I wonder if you might have some insights into what’s happening here?

Not sure really. Does the key have correct permissions? Note that regular CI didn’t run either on the pushed tag.

@jishnub - I’m in the same situation. what did you do to resolve this? I wondered about separating the doc build from the CI into a separate yml - do the lines

release:
    types: [published]

in your package then trigger the doc build?

In this case it turned out to be a missing DOCUMENTER_KEY on GitHub. Adding the key fixed the issue. At the time of this post, I didn’t have access to the repo keys, which led to the confusion

Thank you