Documenter.jl does not build on tags anymore after renaming `master` to `main`

We tried to follow GitHub’s new best practices and renamed master to main in Trixi.jl. We also changed all occurrences of master to main, e.g. in the setup of Documenter.jl and other GitHub actions. Currently, Documenter builds fine on pushes to main and deploys dev docs correctly. However, Documenter is not triggered anymore when a new tag/release is created. We are still using TagBot with DOCUMENTER_KEY as before.
Our current setup for Documenter:

name: Documentation

on:
  push:
    branches:
      - 'main'
    tags: '*'
  pull_request:

jobs:
  build:
    runs-on: ubuntu-latest
    steps:
      - uses: actions/checkout@v2
      - uses: julia-actions/setup-julia@latest
        with:
          version: '1.5'
      - name: Install dependencies
        run: julia --project=docs/ -e 'using Pkg; Pkg.develop(PackageSpec(path=pwd())); Pkg.instantiate()'
      - name: Build and deploy
        env:
          GITHUB_TOKEN: ${{ secrets.GITHUB_TOKEN }} # For authentication with GitHub Actions token
          DOCUMENTER_KEY: ${{ secrets.DOCUMENTER_KEY }} # For authentication with SSH deploy key
        run: julia --project=docs --color=yes docs/make.jl

Our current setup for TagBot:

name: TagBot
on:
  issue_comment:
    types:
      - created
  workflow_dispatch:
jobs:
  TagBot:
    if: github.event_name == 'workflow_dispatch' || github.actor == 'JuliaTagBot'
    runs-on: ubuntu-latest
    steps:
      - uses: JuliaRegistries/TagBot@v1
        with:
          token: ${{ secrets.GITHUB_TOKEN }}
          ssh: ${{ secrets.DOCUMENTER_KEY }}

Do you have an idea how to fix the issue and get new builds of the stable docs when a new release is tagged via TagBot?

Edit: Another slightly related question: Is there a simple way to add the dropped releases v0.3.14, v0.3.15, v0.3.16 to the gh-pages branch?

I was able to trigger a new release build of Documenter by creating a release v0.3.17+doc2 manually (that contains some changes compared to the previous release tagged by TagBot). I still don’t know whether Documenter will continue to work from now on… I would really like to understand what’s going on.

@mortenpi

Another slightly related question: Is there a simple way to add the dropped releases v0.3.14, v0.3.15, v0.3.16 to the gh-pages branch?

Fixing broken release deployments
https://juliadocs.github.io/Documenter.jl/stable/man/hosting/#Documentation-Versions

1 Like

Probably [skip ci] might be the cause.

2 Likes

We used that before (set version to v0.3.13 [skip ci] · trixi-framework/Trixi.jl@af6af47 · GitHub) and Documenter runs on commits marked with [skip ci] - as far as I know, there is no switch in Documenter preventing builds for commit messages with [skip ci].

Edit: Please note that this announcement was made on February 8, 2021.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the tag ran and deployed fine. However, because of [skip ci], the CI for the main branch never ran and so that’s why it did not update the docs in dev/.

3 Likes

Looks like that was indeed the case. Making a new release without [skip ci] in the last commit message worked a few minutes ago. Thanks!

1 Like