JupyterLite, Julia and WebAssembly?

Looks like JupyterLite is getting more traction for teaching, demos, and so on. Does anyone have concrete plans regarding Julia at this point? I know @Keno, @vchuravy and others have work going on in https://github.com/Keno/julia-wasm and there’s a Pluto on WASM demo , so I guess the technical basis may be there already? Would it be feasible to have WASM as a build-target for binary deps in Yggdrasil, even?

4 Likes

I also wonder about this. Currently it is possible to use numpy, scipy, matplotlib and pandas in JupyterLite, which is amazing. It is also possible to install many other libraries using wheels.

Being able to run Pluto along with Plots, Dataframes, Flux etc. would be wonderful!

1 Like

I know that @fonsp dreams about this. However I think this depends on the resources allocated to to the Julia wasm effort. Not sure if there are some hard technical hurdles as well.

Julia + pluto in wasm would give Julia a huge boost in visibility and significantly lower the entrance hurdles for new users and help Julia to spread. In that respect, IMHO it makes sense to give this effort higher priority.

3 Likes

Is there any activity in the community regarding this?

Jupyterlite has an R kernel now, Python has something that resembles Pluto (it is called Marimo) and it is able to run on WASM.

In fact, marimo took inspiration from Pluto: Reddit - Dive into anything

1 Like

At least in regard to WebAssembly, cool stuff is happening with Julia (starting to happen, at the very least):