`juliaup` for for Mac and Linux

We could actually publish juliaup on creates.io, and then you could directly install it with cargo install juliaup. But I actually think that probably doesn’t make that much sense and we should instead just finish the install script that I mentioned above.

If you want to hack on juliaup, then the steps that @ericphanson described are perfect!

3 Likes

The default location scoop installs programs to (which can be changed) is not in the system files directories, but the user directories eg. C:\Users\<user>\scoop. This avoids a lot of problems to do with PATH and UAC permissions, especially if you stick to the main scoop bucket. winget somewhat “supports” it, but it depends on each individual application supporting a --location parameter instead of having a global install location (eg. different drives).

Also winget also does not support installing of portable applications, which is the main type of programs that scoop targets.

So I’m not so sure winget will make scoop redundant, at least until it manages to implement these features. I am especially skeptical about the portable applications one. To me, winget is still more focused on .exe and .msi installers as the target applications.

Ah, interesting re scoop. I think the situation for store apps is generally different because they a) always install per user and b) handle the PATH problem really elegantly. So at least for us winget should be perfect once they enable the Windows Store source and then our existing Windows Store version can just be installed with winget.

2 Likes

You can install pip independently. Then install Jill. On my Ubuntu system I don’t do any major Python configurations at the base system level. I do that in a python virtual environment. My base Python has always been reliable since I adopted that rule. The other good thing about Python is - I don’t program in it any longer