Julia's growth is making free JuliaBox unsustainable

juliabox

My local uni is deploying a JupyterHub instance for use by students, which has not been made public but which I have access to. They have installed a few julia kernels for different julia versions, and it all works nicely.

The only hickups for users are due to the fact that JupyterHub is based on JupyterLab: packages like Interact.jl that haven’t yet caught up with the switch from jupyter notebook to jupyterlab.

It did take the cluster admins some work to figure out that they need to be careful about not leaking global/central JULIA_DEPOT paths into the depot paths of user sessions, so that when users add packages those get installed in folders they are privy to. It was mostly smooth sailing after that from what I can tell.

3 Likes

See also here for the julia specific announcement for mybinder.org.

1 Like

Онлайн компилятор Julia

Don’t forget

nextjournal.com

which is my favourite so far. It can persist the image, so you can pacakgeCompile afew packages and save them. I have requested a $10 a month tier that is more aligned with the silver in Juliabox.

5 Likes

We should probably note all these on julialang.org.

8 Likes

Did anyone read this blog post about the struggle of open source within academcy and CoCalc? Makes me want to support Cocalc. I had a spin of their Julia notebook and it has DataFrames and Plots pre-installed. It’s a bit slow but it’s the unpaid tier.

4 Likes

I saw it pop up on slack. Since this conversation originally started I’ve discovered a lot of different ways to make code interactive online. It seems like an increasingly saturated market. I wonder how important it will be to have JuliaBox as these services continue to grow.

0 Likes

Very. Like the simplicity and Julia focus of juliabox.

0 Likes

Btw, Nextjournal also has a strong focus on Julia :wink:
I’m basically full time employed to improve Julia’s usability at Nextjournal :slight_smile:
If you find anything Julia related that works sub optimal, let me know!

10 Likes

I think Makie.jl (sure, on NextJournal) needs more work. Please spend 90% of time on Makie. Thanks :wink:

5 Likes

I’m personally very happy with how Simon allocates his time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am greedy and think Makie is the best thing ever and want more of it :smile:

5 Likes

Would be nice to have more images eg with key data science package pre compiled! I am trying to make some

0 Likes