JuliaPro 6.0.1 Cannot Add Plotting Package

I just installed Julia Pro 6.0.1 on Windows 10.

1.) There are no plotting packages included. My impression that JuliaPro is an “out of the box” ready experience.

2.) When I try to add the plotting library I get and error:

julia> Pkg.add(“Plots”)
INFO: Cloning cache of PlotThemes from https://github.com/JuliaPlots/PlotThemes.jl.git
ERROR: Cannot clone PlotThemes from https://github.com/JuliaPlots/PlotThemes.jl.git. invalid URL: ‘’
prefetch(::String, ::String, ::Array{String,1}) at .\pkg\cache.jl:56
resolve(::Dict{String,Base.Pkg.Types.VersionSet}, ::Dict{String,Dict{VersionNumber,Base.Pkg.Types.Available}}, ::Dict{String,Tuple{VersionNumber,Bool}}, ::Dict{String,Base.Pkg.Types.Fixed}, ::Dict{String,VersionNumber}, ::Set{String}) at .\pkg\entry.jl:516
resolve(::Dict{String,Base.Pkg.Types.VersionSet}, ::Dict{String,Dict{VersionNumber,Base.Pkg.Types.Available}}, ::Dict{String,Tuple{VersionNumber,Bool}}, ::Dict{String,Base.Pkg.Types.Fixed}) at .\pkg\entry.jl:479
edit(::Function, ::String, ::Base.Pkg.Types.VersionSet, ::Vararg{Base.Pkg.Types.VersionSet,N} where N) at .\pkg\entry.jl:30
(::Base.Pkg.Entry.##1#3{String,Base.Pkg.Types.VersionSet})() at .\task.jl:335
Stacktrace:
[1] sync_end() at .\task.jl:287
[2] macro expansion at .\task.jl:303 [inlined]
[3] add(::String, ::Base.Pkg.Types.VersionSet) at .\pkg\entry.jl:51
[4] (::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#add,Tuple{String}})() at .\pkg\dir.jl:33
[5] cd(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##3#6{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#add,Tuple{String}}, ::String) at .\file.jl:59
[6] withenv(::Base.Pkg.Dir.##2#5{Array{Any,1},Base.Pkg.Entry.#add,Tuple{String},String}, ::Pair{String,String}, ::Vararg{Pair{String,String},N} where N) at .\env.jl:157
[7] #cd#1(::Array{Any,1}, ::Function, ::Function, ::String, ::Vararg{String,N} where N) at .\pkg\dir.jl:32
[8] add(::String) at .\pkg\pkg.jl:117

The JuliaPro distribution should come with Gadfly and PyPlot at the moment, which are both fully functional plotting packages. I do think it is sensible that you also try out Plots, like you do, though, since some Julia users (including myself) prefer to use that as an interface to plotting. Plots is really a meta-plotting package, that allows plotting using a number of other packages with a unified syntax.

I’ve never seen the issue you report, so I suspect this is an issue with compatibility with JuliaPro.

1 Like

I was not able to reproduce this issue on JuliaPro v0.6.0.1 over Windows 10, did you perform any action that would change the contents of your JuliaPro installation (Especially Metadata)?
If yes, then can you please email us the steps to reproduce this issue on JuliaPro@juliacomputing.com?

1 Like

I tried PyPlot but get the “No backend for Matplotlib” error. I see this quite frequently on the forum. I have no idea how to work around it as all of the fixes that other people got working are not functional. I can plot when I use the iJulia notebook system but it does not work from the REPL.

Hello Harsha:

Sure. It is quite literally just downloading, running the installer, bringing up the REPL and trying to add a package. Is this anything I can try?

No backend for Matplotlib” error.

I don’t know much about JuliaPro, but for a standard Julia 0.6 installation on Win7/10, I use

ENV["MPLBACKEND"]="tk"

before using PyPlot (it’s in my .juliarc.jl file). Seems to work well.

Paul S