Julia - what interesting things are you doing?

A lot of diverse :wink: interesting things and a lot of abbreviations :wink:

Some of them, like ODE, are probably known to (almost) everyone here. But those specific to physics, biology, economy etc. are not necessarily known to those outside the respective field.

1 Like

I am solving optimization models for different applications. The last publication regarding quantitative social network analysis is online here. Everything was coded in Julia including the analysis of the results. For the plots I used Julia together with PyPlot.

3 Likes

I am currently moving to Julia the software we use in our Wind Tunnel.

Paulo

4 Likes

My thought here - I always said that Julia needs a ā€˜killer appā€™, which is something that compels people to specify Julia to be installed on a system. I am wrong. Julia is being used quietly, maybe as a glue with older C/Fortran codes. But increasingly using the rich set of Julia packages.
I guess also that the ease of installing Julia in your own directory space means that you donā€™t have to ā€˜specifyā€™ it - you just download it and get on with the job.

Please let the discussion continue - there are such interesting things here.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the type of musical number praising something, right? Eg ODE to Joy?

4 Likes

1000 internet points to anyone who finds an ODE whoā€™s solution is ode to joy.

3 Likes

Right now most of my Julia work has been a fishery simulator, which Iā€™m using to test index standardization models.

@jbmuir Porting the GMRF/SPDE stuff to Julia has been something Iā€™ve wanted for a long time; I use it for fisheries index standardization models. If I can get that and a good Laplace approximation I might be able to move some estimation models from TMB to Julia. The less C++ I have to write the better!

@ElOceanografo are you at the Alaska Center? Iā€™m at UW (QERM, but I sit in SAFS).

3 Likes

Iā€™m building a property based testing framework, during the development of which it has already uncovered some bad codepaths in julia. You can take a look here if you like, but be aware that itā€™s not yet ready to be used extensively. Thereā€™s a lot of things to do. Iā€™m currently working on and off to make it more stable and consistent, which also means using the package to test itself :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Iā€™m a typical scripting user - I work in economic consulting with a quantitative focus, so I build whatever model is required on the next project. This is pretty variable, and recently has included a credit risk model, a game-theory inspired model of trading network frequencies, a forecasting model that combined classical time series stuff (via RCall) with linear regression techniques and ML algos from MLJ, etc etc.

None of this is super groundbreaking or interesting from a research perspective, but overall I donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to cover the wide variety of things I need to get done in often super compressed time scales (it is consulting after allā€¦) in any other language. The ability to more or less write out my thoughts in a stream-of-consciousness fashion in a couple of hours and get something workable at decent speed is invaluable to the kind of work I do.

My only foray into ā€œrealā€ development so far has been https://github.com/nilshg/SynthControl.jl/ - again itā€™s great how quickly a non-CS person like myself can set up a working package with most (cough could easily be all if I spent some timeā€¦ cough) the bells and whistles with almost no effort is pretty remarkable. I just wish I had more time to spend on this!

6 Likes

I am at the Alaska Center, and used to be at SAFS myself. I didnā€™t realize there were any other fishy Julia users in Seattle, we should definitely talk more! Iā€™ve actually been putting off learning TMB/R-INLA/VAST myself, since they all seem like things I should be able to do in Julia. Just havenā€™t got around to implementing them yetā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Maybe Iā€™ll start a new thread to discuss GMRFs and related methods, since at least you and @jbmuir are also interested in them?

5 Likes

are you the author of Psychro.jl? i made a package just for specification of thermodynamic models (ThermoState.jl), and your package seems to propose similar ideas, nice!

Thatā€™s me. The package needs a little attention. I will check-out ThermoState.jl this weekend.

2 Likes

Just finished I Contain Multitudes, and it was an approachable coverage of a really interesting topic. There was some coverage of the gut-microbiome-brain axis in terms of the microbiomeā€™s effect on mood, how a microbiome accustomed to a certain diet can influence cravings, and the mouse models of ASD as you mentioned. Iā€™d love to hear more about your work, do you have any publications you can recommend?

3 Likes

Woah, 5 days is a fast turn-around! :laughing:

We have a preprint up, but it has someā€¦ errā€¦ problems. Take the results with a grain of salt :-/

1 Like

Itā€™s not as impressive as it sounds. I got it as an audiobook when you recommended it and found time to listen while I was walking around in the wee hours of the morning these past few days looking for migratory birds killed by building collisions as part of volunteering for a study on the topic. Iā€™ll definitely check out the preprint, but how have your impressions of the results changed in the 4 months (to the day, actually) since?

Getting way off topic, and itā€™s probably not something I should talk about too openly on a public forum. Letā€™s just say it was a collaborative effort, and I have become somewhat concerned about the contributions of one or more of my collaborators.

3 Likes

Yikes. Best of luck salvaging what you can.

Im trying to work out an extensible api for thermodynamic properties, for now, i have:

• ThermoState.jl (already registered): allows to dispatch from a specification of properties to the correct property calculation function, and specify said properties

https://github.com/longemen3000/ThermoState.jl

• ThermoModels.jl (not registered): a library of thermodynamic models, using ThermoState,jl as the dispatcher

https://github.com/longemen3000/ThermoModels.jl

2 Likes

It seems that Kronecker had described Cantor as a charlatanā€¦

[quote=ā€œkevbonham, post:21, topic:47297, full:trueā€]3. Many studies (including one Iā€™m close to publishing) demonstrate that there are associations between gut microbes and neurocognitive development in humans
[/quote]

Is this true for embryos, for babies or at any age?
Then, what foods should I eat to be more intelligent? I hope itā€™s not too late :slight_smile: