Julia v1.2.0-rc3 is now available

The third (and hopefully final) release candidate for Julia v1.2.0 is now available. Get binaries for all of your favorite platforms at Download Julia and check the NEWS file for v1.2.0-rc3 to see what will be new in 1.2. You can also view the commit comparison with rc2 here.

As a release candidate, this should not be considered production-ready; it’s intended to give users a chance to test their code with v1.2.0 prior to a full release. Note that 1.2 on Travis, AppVeyor, and Cirrus CI now points to v1.2.0-rc3.

If you run into any issues, let us know in the issue tracker. We anticipate that this will be the last release candidate for 1.2.0, so barring any problems, we’ll move forward with a full 1.2.0 release soon.

Enjoy!

28 Likes

Can someone please clarify

1. how long the window is for testing a release candidate,

2. are the registered packages that support 1.2 automatically tested for each new release candidate via CI,

3. what happens after (alpha, beta, release), and the timing for this?

I could not find this in https://discourse.julialang.org/t/proposed-release-process-and-schedule/15623/

2 Likes
  • We haven’t so far really have a fixed time span. Early RCs have “little confidence” so the testing time is quite long. As more RCs gets created and the number of issues opened for each RC goes down (hopefully!) the confidence in the RC increases and the time is lower. We could put some concrete lengths for the time windows but I am not sure it would improve anything in practice.
  1. We run PkgEval before releasing each RC if that is what you mean. After the RC has been released, package can also use it on CI.

2. We haven’t really used alpha and beta for releases with the exception of 1.3-alpha which was mostly for people to try out the new threading stuff early. When the time to branch for release has come, we feature freeze, branch and work on stabilising that release.

5 Likes

Thanks, it is totally fine not to have a process with fixed time windows. I was just curious how long we have to test 1.2-rc3; hoping it is at least a week or more.

2 Likes

A week for the last RC has been what we’ve done in the past. Even if bugs are found after 1.2.0 is released, there’s still always 1.2.1 so it’s really just to make sure there aren’t any show stoppers.

4 Likes

Is there an issue with Travis? I have builds timing out even with 20 minutes waiting, which only take 2mins to compile locally.

Locally with 1.2-rc3?

Yes.

EDIT I think it was definitely just a Travis hiccup, tests now pass on 1.2:

Very good sign if ApproxFun succeeds that 1.2 is ready!

4 Likes