Julia v1.3.0-rc1 is now available

The first release candidate for Julia v1.3.0 is here! Get binaries for Linux, macOS, Windows, and FreeBSD at https://julialang.org/downloads and check out the NEWS file for v1.3.0-rc1 to see what will be new in 1.3. You can also view the commit comparison with the previously released 1.3.0-alpha here.

As a release candidate, this should not be considered production-ready; it’s intended to give users a chance to try out their code with 1.3.0 prior to a full release. Note that 1.3 on Travis, AppVeyor (with Appveyor.jl), and Cirrus CI (with CirrusCI.jl) now points to 1.3.0-rc1 rather than 1.3.0-alpha.

Don’t worry, even though 1.3 is now in the release candidate stage doesn’t mean we’ve forgotten about 1.2; that should be available very soon.

As usual, let us know in the issue tracker if you run into any issues.

24 Likes

Installed and running already. I like living on the edge!

4 Likes

Note that #32918 (artifacts) in the News.md is missing a link.

1 Like

Does this mean that the release dates of 1.2.0 and 1.3.0 will be very close? Is there any special reason for this? I don’t know Julia’s history.

1 Like

1.2.0 should still be out first. The reason for 1.3.0 is that it introduces new parallel paradigm, so people are very hyped (same for the devs)

2 Likes

No, 1.2 is almost completely stabilized and will be released soon while 1.3 just got branched and is likely months away to be released.

6 Likes

I just want to track 1.3 through its release cycle, is it enough to just

git checkout release-1.3 # once
git pull && make # for updates

?

I see, thank you.

For those that want to try it out, Atom/Juno is currently broken for Julia v"1.3.0-rc1".

1 Like

FYI folks I jumped the gun a bit with this release candidate; please consider this more of a beta. We’ll continue to iterate with RC versions but this was a bit premature, so the next release candidate will be more like a true RC. My apologies!

28 Likes

FWIW the whole ApproxFun system passes tests on rc1 without a single segfault :tada: in the past this usually only occurred in the last or penultimate release candidate of any julia version. Though I suppose it’s single threaded so not really testing the main contributions of 1.3.

In any case, I’m hoping “more of a beta” means “really buggy”, not “we’re going to make big changes that introduce new bugs that breaK in ApproxFun

5 Likes

Feature freeze is still in effect. For this RC, the “problem” was just that we didn’t run the normal stabilisation checks that we usually do before an RC (PkgEval + Nanosoldier). For those that want to follow along and maybe help out, the PkgEval process for RC2 is at https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/32973#issuecomment-525447222.

4 Likes