Julia usage with tmux or screen on Mac

Hi there.

I want to run the repl in a tmux window but whenever I start julia, it starts on a new terminal window. This only happens for me on Mac OS (my actual version is 10.11.16). On a linux VM it works (julia command does not open another terminal window).

Is there a way to change this behavior? (from the command line, for instance)

TIA

Rodrigo

You can just open whatever terminal program you want and run julia from there.

For this to work, however, julia needs to be in your path. The julia executable lives in /Applications/Julia-0.5.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin (assuming you have installed Julia-0.5 into your Applications folder). You can either add this directory to your path or e.g. put a link to it in another directory that is in your path, e.g ln -s /Applications/Julia-0.5.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia /usr/local/bin to put a julia link into /usr/local/bin.

Thanks, but that isn’t it. I can run julia just fine (it is on the path), and in linux it works, but in mac os whenever I run julia from the terminal, it opens a new terminal window.

I just want it to run in the same terminal window in mac os (that way, tmux and screen can capture its output).

The binary in Contents/MacOS/julia is a wrapper script. As mentioned, you need to run the version under bin/ to avoid the new terminal. (there are several open issues about why, but I’m on my phone atm)

Thanks! That did it! I did not pay close attention to the previous answer.