Julia recomended directory for install

I have just obtained the Julia code 1.3…
and have un-tarred it. Now I am curious as to a recommended directory for installation.
Am running Linux Mint Debian Edition LMDE, latest version.
suggestions and why?

If you have root privileges, you can go old-school and put it in /usr/local or /opt.

Or you can just untar somewhere within your home directory. I put softwar packages in ~/packages, so julia-1.3.0 wouldreside end up as ~/packages/julia-1.3.0.

Wherever you put it, make sure that the Julia bin directory appears in your PATH environment variable Typically your PATH is set in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile. Look within and modify appropriately.

Here’s my workflow: Transitioning from Ubuntu PPA to official binaries - #2 by rdeits

The primary difference from what @John_Gibson suggested is that I make a symlink to the julia executable and put it in a directory which is already on the PATH (like /usr/local/bin) instead of modifying PATH in .bashrc.

I prefer this approach because it means that programs which are not launched from bash (and thus don’t read your .bashrc or .bash_profile) will still be able to find Julia.

6 Likes

Now that you mention it, I do something similar. I have ~/bin in my PATH, and I make a symbolic link from ~/bin/julia to ~/packages/julia-1.xx/bin/julia.

Thank you John and rdeits
I first learned Unix in the 1980’s and in those days, programs were put in /bin.
I’m now entering the Linux world and need to do some catching up.
Appreciate your answers. They’re what I needed.