Julia documentation not available from Firefox

Hello!

I cannot access installed Julia html documentation from firefox - it says Acess Denied. The documentation is located at file:///snap/julia/92/share/doc/julia/html/en/index.html and is the one, which comes with the installation; permissions set to root change/modify and others read only. File browser can show the file, and I can see the content without any additional permissions for the editor (i.e. not using sudo).

Google gives no single result for people having similar problem (once in a lifetime:D).

I have Ubuntu 22.04, Firefox 123.0.

Hey! Most people read the Julia documentation at https://docs.julialang.org/en/. Does that work for you?

2 Likes

FireFox is a Snap app (by default) on Ubuntu 22.04. It looks like you also installed Julia via Snap. I think Snap apps are sandboxed and cannot access each other’s data files. I cannot even use Ubuntu’s FireFox to open files inside /tmp on my laptop. Try a browser installed through non-snap channels, though you should just access the documentation online unless there’s a good reason like working with an air-gapped computer.

P.S. Most people recommend installing Julia via juliaup instead of Snap, though I have nothing against the Snap version (haven’t tried it).

If you need to have offline documentation, you can install julia using juliaup or simply with the official tar files (Download Julia).

I can open the documentation with firefox (on ubuntu 22.04) using the following shell command:

firefox ~/.julia/juliaup/julia-1.10.0+0.x64.linux.gnu/share/doc/julia/html/en/index.html

(the exact path will depend on the installed julia version).

Unfortunately this does not work, because I’m often in place without internet connection. I am really disturbed by two factors: installing documentations for many tools (or interactive versions of books) offline is nearly impossible and many datasets for machine learning assume very directly that you don’t make permanent caches. Julia is more like my computing ideal in sense that it works more or less out-of-the-box and, at least theoretically, has documentation built-in. I think books should come as well packaged, so that you install one package and have everything - all tools mentioned in a book, all it’s source code, and book itself, and optionally it’s interactive version.

In old times of computers, you got one package, where all examples definitely worked and help files were built-in - this is sad that for many, this has gotten very far from reality and you can install package itself with one click, but documentation (for example for Google Go) is very complicated to install. Tools should know their own infrastructure and there should be something like centralized package manager for linux, which, in addition to installing tools, would let you install their add-ons, like accessing pip directly from main package manager; then, also the writers of books could give more straightforward links.

I installed this version (there are no links in Applications now, I have to start Julia from the command line) - Firefox error is equal …there is some kind of protection system in Firefox, which does not accept that files are readable for all users, and I don’t know, how to get rid of it …I prefer having non-customized installation so I don’t want to move those files into a completely public folder.

You could work around this using GitHub - tlienart/LiveServer.jl: Simple development server with live-reload capability for Julia. and the serve(dir="path/to/documentation") command…

1 Like

Have you seen this (among others the first comment?)

Maybe it is the dot in .julia which poses a problem for firefox (in my case .julia is a symbolic link to another directory).

The manual is also available as a PDF file.

Yes I have PDF documentation of Julia, as this is my favorite format for reading - on windows, I like CHM, because they both come with very simple format of index on the left and text on the right. In active development, when I do not read linearly, but by little pieces, HTML can be a better format, especially searchable HTML (I don’t know, which one Julia has offline, as I cannot see it). I am really missing an easy manager to install and uninstall text and video documentations and manuals for different tools and packages. I think this is very complicated what we have right now - it’s much easier to install software.

I will try out this server, but indeed the best thing to have would be if these rights are fixed in some update, so that it’s not necessary to have non-standard way to access help. I’m always extremely happy if a tool simply works in a standard way :slight_smile:

Edit:

You’re right, LiveServer works and it also allows to search in documentation - quite perfect.

I had to use these lines:

using LiveServer
cd(“/snap/julia/92/share/doc/julia/html/en/”)
serve()

But still, the documentation itself is not fixed …maybe it has to use LiveServer itself, when I start Julia documentation from the Applications (I’m back on snap version, as it installs under Applications).