Julia Dependencies for PYSR

I am trying to install Julia dependencies for PYSR and I am getting following message . HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS?

JuliaError: Exception ‘GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:SSL, Your Julia is built with a SSL/TLS engine that libgit2 doesn’t know how to configure to use a file or directory of certificate authority roots, but your environment specifies one via the SSL_CERT_FILE variable. If you believe your system’s root certificates are safe to use, you can export JULIA_SSL_CA_ROOTS_PATH="" in your environment to use those instead.)’ occurred while calling julia code:
Pkg.add([sr_spec, clustermanagers_spec], io=stderr)

Which operating system are you using? Which Julia version? What is the output of

versioninfo()

?

Windows 11.
Julia 1.9.3

Julia Version 1.9.3
Commit bed2cd540a (2023-08-24 14:43 UTC)
Build Info:
Official https://julialang.org/ release
Platform Info:
CPU: 8 × 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz
WORD_SIZE: 64
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-14.0.6 (ORCJIT, tigerlake)
Threads: 1 on 8 virtual cores
Environment:
JULIA_SSL_CA_ROOTS_PATH =

Python 3.8.18

How did you try do install PySR? Conda? pip? docker?

There is even a forum just for PySR: MilesCranmer/PySR Q A · Discussions · GitHub

2 Likes

Ping @milescranmer

Something is a bit strange. How did you install Julia, Python, and PySR?

Conda install, as it was discussed by MILESCRANMER in GitHub.

Well, from my personal point of view Python on Windows is a nightmare… That’s why I am using Julia on Linux… No such problems. But I understand that you cannot use pure Julia if you want to use PySR…

PySR is a python wrapper for a Julia package, so you definitely can use it without python.

My current understanding is that you used conda to install PySR, which in turn also installed Julia via conda? Did you do this on Linux or Windows?

1 Like

See above…

That doesn’t quite add up because you cannot install PySR via conda on Windows:
https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pysr

oh… there’s an old noarch version.

Could you do a conda list for us so we can see what’s going on in the conda environment?

1 Like

Pip install pysr resolved the issue for Julia Dependencies for PYSR. Thank you @ufechner7

2 Likes

Great !

Can you mark the topic as resolved?

Hello. I am trying to run PySR and getting the same error mentioned in this threat
julia.core.JuliaError: Exception ‘failed to clone from GitHub - MilesCranmer/SymbolicRegression.jl: Distributed High-Performance Symbolic Regression in Julia, error: GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:SSL, Your Julia is built with a SSL/TLS engine that libgit2 doesn’t know how to configure to
use a file or directory of certificate authority roots, but your environment specifies one via the SSL_CERT_FILE variable. If you believe your system’s root certificates are safe to use, you can export JULIA_SSL_CA_ROOTS_PATH="" in your environment to use those instead.)’ occurred while calling julia code:

As Ive read, the solution was found when running pip install pysr, but that is not working for me since when I do this I get that all the requirements are already satisfied.

When I run again, I get the same message
julia.core.JuliaError: Exception ‘failed to clone from GitHub - MilesCranmer/SymbolicRegression.jl: Distributed High-Performance Symbolic Regression in Julia, error: GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:SSL, Your Julia is built with a SSL/TLS engine that libgit2 doesn’t know how to configure to
use a file or directory of certificate authority roots, but your environment specifies one via the SSL_CERT_FILE variable. If you believe your system’s root certificates are safe to use, you can export JULIA_SSL_CA_ROOTS_PATH="" in your environment to use those instead.)’ occurred while calling julia code:

Any ideas?
Thanks

Also, as Miles Crammer suggested in a Githbs issue /
I think you could get around this by running the following in the Julia REPL. First, hit ] to turn on Pkg mode. Then,

activate @pysr-0.16.3
rm SymbolicRegression ClusterManagers DynamicExpressions
add SymbolicRegression ClusterManagers DynamicExpressions

I did this on my Julia console and got

✗ SymbolicRegression
65 dependencies successfully precompiled in 54 seconds. 10 already precompiled.
7 dependencies errored.
For a report of the errors see julia> err. To retry use pkg> precompile

(@pysr-0.16.3) pkg> precompile
Precompiling project…
✗ SpecialFunctions
✗ LoopVectorization → SpecialFunctionsExt
✗ ForwardDiff
✗ NLSolversBase
✗ LineSearches
✗ Optim
✗ SymbolicRegression
0 dependencies successfully precompiled in 25 seconds. 75 already precompiled.

ERROR: The following 1 direct dependency failed to precompile:

SymbolicRegression [8254be44-1295-4e6a-a16d-46603ac705cb]

Failed to precompile SymbolicRegression [8254be44-1295-4e6a-a16d-46603ac705cb] to “C:\Users\81080758\.julia\compiled\v1.10\SymbolicRegression\jl_CCF2.tmp”.

How did you install Julia and PySR? From Julia, could you provide the full output of versioninfo()?

Julia Version 1.10.0
Commit 3120989f39 (2023-12-25 18:01 UTC)
Build Info:
Official https://julialang.org/ release
Platform Info:
CPU: 8 × 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
WORD_SIZE: 64
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-15.0.7 (ORCJIT, tigerlake)
Threads: 1 on 8 virtual cores

Could you provide the full output of err after precompile?

Also, how did you install Julia?