Julia bindings to SandDance for Plotting/Visualization?

Is anybody thinking about building Julia bindings for MS Sanddance? It’s relatively new, combining Vega for layout and Deck.gl for WebGL rendering. The demos are really impressive.

CC @davidanthoff

Common, don’t do this to me on a Sat night during quarantine when I’m bored. Now I have another package to maintain :slight_smile:

pkg> add https://github.com/queryverse/SandDance.jl

and then

julia> using VegaDatasets, SandDance

julia> dataset("cars") |> SandDanceWindow

Still a bit rough, but the basics seem to work. Should work with any tabular data source.

10 Likes

Awesome!! I probably don’t need to even ask - will this work with the VS Code SandDance-extension?

No, I don’t think so. As far as I can tell the VS Code extension only works with loading data from disc…

Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing so far (export CSV from Julia and then open in SandDance), works well, of course. I just had hoped that the SandDance extension might have some way of piping data into it within VSCode - and knowing you, I have a feeling you’ll pounce on it, if that capability appears at some point. :wink:

I’ve used VS-Code more and more these last weeks - always been a Sublime Text user, switching Editors isn’t a step taken lightly. :slight_smile: I really love your Julia extension and what it can do, and how well the remote-development extension meshes with everything else.

1 Like