Julia and conda

Hi

The version of Julia that is available on conda is 1.1.
However, it seems that the latest version is 1.4.
I was wondering when 1.4 is going to be updated on conda.
Also, where can I read about best practices regarding setting up an environment for julia (keeping track of julia packages and other dependencies)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know about the first question, but for the latter, check out the documentation for Pkg the package manager for Julia.

Circling back to the first question, unless you really need conda for other aspects of your environment, I strongly recommend against trying to use it for Julia (I speak as someone that uses conda a bunch for python environments). Julia’s package manager is really well designed, and deals well with environments with different dependencies right in the folder of your project. It can take a little getting used to, but it’s worth the effort. And if you have questions, feel free to ask here or on slack.

Also, you may be interested in Conda.jl if you also need to manage python dependencies in a Julia project.

4 Likes

You should contact the conda maintainers about updating the version of Julia. As with Linux distros, we don’t have any control over that. Would be great if they shipped a newer version of Julia.

1 Like