Julia 1.9.alpha1 multi thread

I have installed julia 1.8.3 and julia 1.9.0 alpha1.
when enter julia -t auto command ,julia 1.8.3 is running.
how to start julia 1.9.alpha1 with mulit threads.
Also,Julia 1.9.alpha1 is not supporting vs code with jupyter notebook.

Please tell me how to solve it.

Thank you

Well, if you want to try different Julia versions use GitHub - johnnychen94/jill.py: A cross-platform installer for the Julia programming language

pip install jill
jill install 1.8
jill install 1.9 --unstable

You can then switch the active version with:

jill switch 1.8

or

jill switch 1.9
2 Likes

Typing julia in your terminal will start the first program called julia found on your PATH. If you want to start a different executable with the same name you either have to give the full path to the executable you want to start, or navigate to the folder it’s in and do ./julia or create a symlink (on Linux, or whatever the equivalent is on Windows/MacOS) to disambiguate versions (eg I have a series of julia1x symlinks to start different Julia versions).

As @nilshg already described, if you have multiple versions of julia installed, you need a way to disambiguate which one is being used by various softwares.

As already mentioned, what starts when you run julia from the terminal depends on the PATH variable in your current terminal session. Or you can simply use the full path to the julia binary in its installation folder.

For jupyter, which julia is started depends on how you installed jupyter/ijulia. You can either look up IJulia’s documentation on how to register a new “jupyter kernel” (probably a single easy configuration function to be called from the julia repl) or you can manually edit your current one or make a new one (my preferred way of doing it as it provides more flexibility). To do it manually, look up the kernel configuration files you already have in ~/.local/share/jupyter/kernels.

For vscode, similarly, you need to tell it which julia executable you want it to use. It is in the configuration page of the vscode julia plugin.

As @ufechner7 mentioned, there are more automated ways to switch between versions. There are tools that let you install multiple versions of julia and swap between them freely, without having to edit configurations in your other pieces of software. That is done by having one single “file” called julia reachable from your PATH variable, but the version management software changes what that file points to. @ufechner7 likes jill, which depends on python. The python dependency is very inconvenient for me, so I prefer the much more self-sufficient juliaup, which has its own pros and cons.

1 Like

Thank you. it solved my problem

A short note for Jupyter notebooks, they’re still problematic in 1.9, follow the issue: Regression affecting IJulia · Issue #47196 · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub

1 Like