Julia 0.7/1.0: How to test dev packages

Hello,

I’m having some troubles in testing a package I’m developing.

I have the current official version of the package taken from git repository (using “add” command), stored in `.julia/packages/MyPackage.

I also downloaded MyPackage for development (using “dev” command), which is stored locally in .julia/dev/MyPackage, and I modified it.
I want to test the modified package.

The point is that the line

using Mymodule 

in test/runtests.jl is calling the older version of the package stored in .julia/packages, and not the one in the working directory.
Probably I don’t fully understand the new package manager.

Thanks in advance,

Silvia

I think you may have freeed the package again, it then uses the .julia/packages/MyPackage. What happens if you first dev MyPackage and then test MyPackage?

2 Likes

@mauro3’s suggestion is the right way to fix the problem. For diagnosing this kind of problem, it may be handy to pointing out the existence of pathof:

help?> pathof
search: pathof

pathof(m::Module)

Return the path of m.jl file that was used to import module m, or nothing if m was not imported from a package.

Use dirname to get the directory part and basename to get the file name part of the path.
1 Like

pkg> status should also show you a path to where it is loaded from if it is devved.

following @mauro3 suggestion, I tried to do dev MyPackage, with the following error:

ERROR: expected a 'name' entry in project file at .julia/dev/MyPackage/Project.toml

and then I realized that the lines:

name = "MyPackage"
uuid = "....."

were missing in Project.toml file!
That’s because I didn’t create a new package using “generate MyPackage”, but I downloaded an already existing package to modify it. And this package was created with a previous version of Julia (0.6) and originally had not the Project.toml file.
That’s what apparently caused the problem!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

cheers,

Silvia

2 Likes

Glad you worked it out!