Issue with LLVM.jl with non-ascii user names on Windows

I asked on slack and Mose answered with a couple links to others reporting the same problem, e.g. here.

Maybe trying WSL is another possibility if you don’t want to reformat your drives?
I think you can connect VS Code to WSL, so it’d hopefully still give you a native experience.
But I don’t have the experience to report on this myself.

If this is just a problem with the path of .julia folder, can using another environment with ascii only path solve the problem? If this works, then we can further relocate .julia folder and set some environmental variables.

Then, do you think that if I reformated my computer, change the path without an chacters in the path, I eliminate the problem?
Because I will formate my computer. That’s necessary.
Thank you,

I have tried to change the .julia but this not works. In the installation, I have also choose another path with non-ascii user. Again, it doesn’t work.

The better solution is to formate my computer, eliminating this path with usuário

Just a clarification question, did you use julia environment without non-ascii character or only change .julia folder? Because in my experience, if only .julia location is changed without using the corresponding environment in julia, julia will not know the change of the .julia location and still looks into the user folder for the default environment.

VectorizationBase and LLVM.jl both look for Julia’s LLVM, which won’t normally be in .julia, but with Julia itself (i.e., generally joinpath(Sys.BINDIR, "..", "lib"))

julia> Base.libllvm_path()
Symbol("/home/chriselrod/Documents/languages/julia/usr/bin/../lib/libLLVM-11jl.so")

julia> Sys.BINDIR
"/home/chriselrod/Documents/languages/julia/usr/bin"

If you have to anyway, then yes, please try removing all non-ascii characters and then reporting whether this worked for you. That’d help us point anyone else encountering that problem here.