Is it possible that passing user defined gradient slows down the solver

Hi all,

I am using JuMP with Ipopt and encounter this problem. For example, I have a constraint looks like x^2 + y^2 <= 1. Originally I just add this constraints to the model. But when I try to define a function f(x, y) = x^2 + y^2, register this function and its gradient to the model (I tried both autodiffer and user-defined gradient), and then run the code, Ipopt actually takes more time and iterations to converge. I am wondering is this possible, or I am not coding in the correct way?

In addition, just to make sure, currently we cannot give hessian of multivariate functions, right?

Thanks in advanced.

Since Ipopt is actually taking more iterations (rather than just more time), the gradients you’re supplying might be wrong. Ipopt has a built-in derivative checking function (enable using derivative_test keyword), which is pretty handy. Specifically, I’ve used the following in tests:

https://github.com/JuliaRobotics/MotionCaptureJointCalibration.jl/blob/efd5f040ba7a856f9cc96f16aa5a76f3352d228c/test/runtests.jl#L83

2 Likes

Thank you for the fast responses. I just tried and the solver prints no errors detected by derivative checker. It looks like with user defined function and gradient(i.e., JuMP.register()), Ipopt is not evaluating the Lagrangian Hessian.

1 Like

That is correct. JuMP does not provide Hessian information to Ipopt if there are non-univariate user-defined functions present. This can, of course, affect the algorithmic performance of the solver.

Thank you for the response. So if I use juMP.register(), Ipopt will not use second order information? But if I don’t user defined function, i.e., use a loop to add variables to constraints/variable, then Ipopt will automatically calculate both gradient and hessian? Am I understanding correctly? Thanks.

If you register a non-univariate user-defined function, then JuMP will report to Ipopt that hessians are not available to be queried. Ipopt will switch to “limited-memory hessian approximation” in this case (see https://github.com/JuliaOpt/Ipopt.jl/blob/8319f091254f5ad2974f8812280fcb9b29df003b/src/IpoptSolverInterface.jl#L38). Otherwise, JuMP provides derivatives and by default Ipopt will use both gradients and hessians.