Is DifferentialEquations 7.7.0 slowing the REPL in Julia 1.8.5?

I recently updated to this version of the DifferentialEquations package and observed that my code execution became considerably slower after loading the package. To ensure that this issue was isolated to the package itself, I tested it on a clean environment with only the DifferentialEquations package installed. I experienced the same slow REPL performance on both Windows and Linux platforms.

For instance, when running the following simple code:

f(u, p, t) = u
u0 = 1.0
tspan = (0.0, 10.0)
prob = ODEProblem(f, u0, t)

I found that the time until the function got defined in the REPL changed from being instantaneous without loading the DifferentialEquations package to be around 2 seconds. The line where I define the ODEProblem also took some time, getting the output in the REPL completely frozen when displaying the types of the u and t. After being stuck like 5 seconds for each type, it then continued, but this was not normally.

And finally, I noticed that when I have an error in the code and a moderately long stack trace appears, this happens painfully slowly. For instance, if I force this error

sol = solve(prob, Euler())

by not giving the function a dt, it takes around 30 seconds for the entire stacktrace to appear, since it starts appearing by chunks.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or have any suggestions?

It is (due to invalidating type printing). @ChrisRackauckas

Fixed (i.e., reverted to old behavior) here: Set to disabled as default (ie opt-in to TruncatedStacktraces, instead of opt-out) by sjdaines · Pull Request #24 · SciML/TruncatedStacktraces.jl · GitHub.

So just update your packages to get your REPL back.

1 Like