Intro to Julia course: Plotting: plotlyjs yields blank?

Hi, during the lecture on plotting, Plotting | JuliaAcademy (ca. 3 minutes in), she switches over to the plotlyjs() backend.
When I try that, I get only a blank area instead of a plot.
This is whether I use the “pirates” example, or the “x^2” example, as in:

using Plots
x = -10:10
y = x.^2
plotlyjs()
plot(x,y, label="line")
scatter!(x,y, label="scatter")

If I do the gr() backend it works fine, but with plotlyjs() it’s just a big blank space.

Earlier I was getting an error message about the WebIO extension not being installed, but I exited jupyter lab, went to my shell, ran python3 -m pip install --upgrade webio_jupyter_extension, restarted jupyter lab, re-ran the notebook, and then the error went away, and now I just see a big blank space.

How to fix this?

Btw, as per the troubleshooting instructions, here’s the check that the webio extension is installed:

$ jupyter labextension list
JupyterLab v3.2.7
/home/shawley/envs/fastproaudio/share/jupyter/labextensions
        webio-jupyterlab-provider v0.1.0 enabled OK (python, webio_jupyter_extension)
        @jupyter-widgets/jupyterlab-manager v3.0.1 enabled OK (python, jupyterlab_widgets)

I’m not using any --user pip installations, and I made sure to install the webio extension and run jupyterlab in the same environment:

python3 -m pip install webio_jupyter_extension
python3 -m jupyterlab

…still just a big ol’ blank area for the plot.

SOLVED.

The course lecture doesn’t tell you, and the troubleshooting page doesn’t tell you, but the README file for the plotlyjs() does tell you:

You need to run jupyter labextension install jupyterlab-plotly from the command line.

After doing that (and restarting jupyter lab, and re-running the code), everything works. :partying_face:

1 Like