installing JuliaFEM correctly?

Happy Monday,
I was looking for a less memory intensive alternative (compared to julia fenics) for doing finite element method, so I wanted to try JuliaFEM. As Navier Strokes is not a predefined problem I wanted to define it my self. When adding JuliaFEM it gave me some warning messages. I couldnt paste the testing output as it goes over the caracter limit.
I tried to follow the example of adding a problem but I could not, so I was guessing maybe JuliaFEM is not properly installed? The predefined example problems that come with it though work fine though.

type Truss <: FieldProblem
end
ERROR: syntax: extra token "Truss" after end of expression
function get_unknown_field_name(problem::Problem{Ginger})
    return "displacement"
end
UndefVarError: Ginger not defined

Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope at In[17]:1

Ping @ahojukka5

We have an active “support” in gitter: JuliaFEM/JuliaFEM.jl - Gitter consider asking in there.

Maybe this example could help you:
PDEAssembler.jl

I think there’s nothing wrong with the installation, ]add JuliaFEM should be enough.

With new Julia 1.0 syntax, type should be immutable struct and if you define a problem Truss, you should use that name also in that function (now you use Ginger why the error is thrown).

Br,
Jukka

Im unable to install juliaFEM, im getting the following error:

(@v1.10) pkg> add JuliaFEM
Resolving package versions…
ERROR: Unsatisfiable requirements detected for package Reexport [189a3867]:
Reexport [189a3867] log:
├─possible versions are: 0.2.0-1.2.2 or uninstalled
├─restricted by compatibility requirements with LinearSolve [7ed4a6bd] to versions: 1.0.0-1.2.2
│ └─LinearSolve [7ed4a6bd] log:
│ ├─possible versions are: 0.1.0-2.28.0 or uninstalled
│ └─restricted to versions * by an explicit requirement, leaving only versions: 0.1.0-2.28.0
└─restricted by compatibility requirements with JuliaFEM [f80590ac] to versions: 0.2.0 — no versions left
└─JuliaFEM [f80590ac] log:
├─possible versions are: 0.5.0-0.5.1 or uninstalled
└─restricted to versions * by an explicit requirement, leaving only versions: 0.5.0-0.5.1

I think JuliaFEM is abandoned.

Hi @PetrKryslUCSD, I want to solve 3D poissons eqn (electrostatic type problem) in julia, can you suggest good packages that are well documented as well as robust for solving large problems (~10 million DOFs).

Look at gridap, I’d say. It can even offer support for parallel execution.

1 Like

Ok I will look into it and respond. Thanks

If your scope is open source but not Julia, consider Salome-Meca or Code Aster.

1 Like